New to box turtles, need help

Oskar Marinez

hi everybody, I recently acquired what I think is an ornate box turtle from a woman who's son had neglected, and I have a few questions.

1) how do I get him/her to eat vegetables? I have tried giving her all types of vegetables and leafy greens, but the only plant I can get her to eat are tomatoes. The previous owner only fed her worms

2) how do I set up a proper habitat? I have read up on housing ornate box turtles, and some people say they prefer a more arid environment, while others claim they are happiest in a humid enclosure, with lots of ferns and moss, I have read that they are less hardy than other types of box turtles, and I want to make sure she is housed properly.

3) how do I tell his/her sex? It seems to be female because there is no indentation on the plastron, and it's eyes are more brown than anything else, but I am just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Hello. How old is the ornate an adult? Box turtles can be picky and worms are a favorite. Key is to try and try and keep trying. Get what ever veggie your trying mix in with bananas and blueberries They may nibble the veggies and start eating it. Ornates however do love protein and will eat worms snails Beatles. Habitat should be outdoors if possible..they like it humid and ornates can tolerate more arid environments but I still set then up grown out big water dish tall grass. Water it every few days . go biggest as you can box turtles love room. I doors is a little hard not impossible . for sex. If it's an adult the tail will be short if a female. Males have fairly long fat tails. Some males have a big indent some barely any if any. Of you post pictures we can help.

Kyle

Oskar Marinez

Thanks! Apparently the previous owner bought him/her as a baby from a reptile breeder around 6 years ago. I just tried giving her mango and she seemed to love it! She has also been eating snails and sowbugs. Right now I have her in an outdoor pen, fortunately I live in a suburban area so there aren't many predators, the only thing I have to worry about is neighborhood cats so I'm going to try to make a more secure enclosure.

1469481864908.jpg 1469481891480.jpg 1469481910352.jpg 1469481928826.jpg 1469481961287.jpg 1469481984777.jpg 1469482022483.jpg 1469482078709.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Very nice life guy. Hea still young but I believe he will be male. The enclosure looks alright too. Would recommend getting shade cloth so one half is shaded all the time. It will still have Sun but about half there are different grades of shade cloth that lets more or less Sun through. Mine love to hang out under the shaded area. I have part of the enclosure not covered and they will go out of the shade area and get more Sun. All about giving options. Maybe a bigger water dish too. I use paint roller trays they work great for box turtles. Mine will soak in hot days and hot nights. They love water

Kyle

Oskar Marinez

Very nice life guy. Hea still young but I believe he will be male. The enclosure looks alright too. Would recommend getting shade cloth so one half is shaded all the time. It will still have Sun but about half there are different grades of shade cloth that lets more or less Sun through. Mine love to hang out under the shaded area. I have part of the enclosure not covered and they will go out of the shade area and get more Sun. All about giving options. Maybe a bigger water dish too. I use paint roller trays they work great for box turtles. Mine will soak in hot days and hot nights. They love water

Kyle
thank you so much

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Nice save and I'm going with that's a female. If that ornate is at least 6 years old and because of the head color and very small tail there is no doubt it's female.

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
At 6 years old that turtle should long be sexually mature. Based on location of vent area and head color that is a female. Beautiful turtle.

Oskar Marinez

thanks for the help everybody! I have decided to make her enclosure a bit bigger and add a larger water so she could wade, she seems to really be enjoying it! I have decided to name her Sonora, or Nora for shory, and I removed the moss on her burrow and replaced it with creeping Jenny, is creeping Jenny safe for turtles? (lol sorry if my finger is in any of the pictures)

1469546784606.jpg 1469546933111.jpg 1469547075250.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks great and I think she will be very happy in there.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
thanks for the help everybody! I have decided to make her enclosure a bit bigger and add a larger water so she could wade, she seems to really be enjoying it! I have decided to name her Sonora, or Nora for shory, and I removed the moss on her burrow and replaced it with creeping Jenny, is creeping Jenny safe for turtles? (lol sorry if my finger is in any of the pictures)

Outstanding work!! Look incredible...did you dig up some soil to make it easier for her to burrow? They love moss..it provides a humid area to escape too after sunning for a while...its new home is beautiful...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

As long as you're making it bigger, I suggest a sight barrier around the bottom so she can't see out. - @Oskar Marinez

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
For him to eat veggies, patience lots of patience. Keep feeding him veggies he will have to eat eventually. He won't starve himself to death. Also during this time of him not eating soak him in warm water every few days. And that looks like a female :)

shells05

Weird question but what is a juvenile box turtle and how old is it????? Please tell if you know

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
One thing I'd add, is all of my boxies are EXCELLENT climbers. I've watched them climb 3 ft fences. I worry those panels might be easy for her to climb. Love the enclosure, you guys did a great job.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Sorry, I didn't realize how old the post was. I Couldn't figure out how to remove my comment.