New to Beardies

Tornado

5 Year Member
We have a Russian Tortoise (our 5 year old daughters... Technically ;) and are planning on getting a Bearded Dragon for our sons 9th birthday.

I was wondering if this was a good forum for help with Beardies, or if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Lots of beardie keepers here.

Get your Blaptica dubia colony going now. :) That's my suggestion.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
I agree with tom, will save you a bunch on food and better nutrients than crickets. For substrate I used to use tile or slate rock pieces with a little sand underneath.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
This forum does have a lot of beardie keepers, but there is also a forum that is just for beardies: www.beardeddragon.org

My suggestion would be to find a juvie or older beardie. They are more handleable and less fuss. Babies eat 3 times a day and poop...a lot. Juvies are fed twice a day (I think) and adults are just once a day. The pooping also becomes less frequent and more manageable. I started with an adult and have never regretted it. He's tame as can be!
One of the challenges with this species is space requirements, but as long as you have a plan for that, you're good to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had a Beardie a few years back. A great pet. The older ones eat mostly greens. I fed mine a crickets, super worms, meal worms and greens. When he was an adult, only greens and the bugs were only a treat. When mine was an adult, I was able to put a big log inside his enclosure that stuck out the top. He would love to climb on it, but never escaped. I would also put the same log on the window sill for some sunshine and warmth, again, he would stay right there. They do seem to like running water better then a bowl. They are quit skiddish and very fast when little. Much easier to hold and handle when they are bigger. I will have another one some day. You can't go wrong with them. Be sure to share pics.

Tornado

5 Year Member
Kameo - I've been seeing 50-60gal for an adult. Do you disagree?

Oh my gosh, Tom, no!

Ok, talk to me about keeping roaches in my house...

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I think that would be the absolute minimum. I know that people do use those. We custom built our guy a 4'x2'x18" viv. It's mostly wood and holds the heat very well.
I agree, that roaches are the way to go. Fafnir seems to tire of worms from time to time, but he's never refused a dubia!

canicke

Roaches are easier than crickets. They live longer and smell less. They can be expensive to buy at retail(60 cents each) or from private seller much less. The size roach you feed should not exceed the space between beardies eyes. Typically. Mine has eaten bigger ones. Ya might want to test the waters by buying several dozen off of craigslist. Get dubias. They dont climb and can be kept in a rubbermaid tote. Throw in a couple of empty egg cartons. Dry dog food. Oatmeal. And orange quarters. Drill holes around perimeter of the lid for air. Provide a heat source at one end. If you dont feed all the adults you'll even be breeding in no time. Easy peasy