New Texas owner

Jason David

Hello everyone! My name is Jason and I'm the happy new owner of my first tortoise. I live outside if Houston, Texas and I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hi there and welcome, Jason.
Tell us more about your tortoise, what kind is it, age etc.

Jason David

His name is Castor and I *believe* he is a Greek, though I think his shell markings look a lot like a Hermann's. Honestly, I'm a little confused. ;) I also don't know his age.

Attachments

• 1499808900979.jpg
    1499808900979.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1499808911647.jpg
    1499808911647.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1499808921892.jpg
    1499808921892.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1499808933277.jpg
    1499808933277.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 21

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Beautiful. The experts here will tell you exactly what he is and how best to keep him healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Jason.

Looks like you went to the pet store and got the usual bad pet store advice. Please don't feel discouraged. This happens to lots of people. We will help you get things all sorted out, if you'll let us.

First, you have a russian tortoise. Testudo horsfieldii. Recently re-named into the genus Agrionemys, but I prefer Testudo since that's how I learned it decades ago.

Second: Pet stores give bad info. Sorry, but its true. They sell dangerous products at a high price, and I would encourage you to return most of that junk, once you learn what you really need. Most of your tortoise supply shopping will be done at the hard ware store.
No ramped water bowls.
No coil bulbs for UV.
No red bulbs for night.
No night heat at all for this species, unless you live inside a refrigerator.
No little glass tanks.
No deep double domes.
No running loose in the house or yard.

Read these two threads and then come back and blast us with all your questions. Make me explain any of these assertions that don't make sense.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Oh my gosh, now that you've said it It's completely obvious that he's a Russian! I'll be back after I read read read!
Where in Houston are you? I'm NW side of town. 290, a couple miles inside the grand Parkway

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, I've seen you and others post this, but I haven't seen a reason why. Could you explain?
Yes sir. Happy to explain.

There are several problems with these double domes:
1. The deep part makes them unsuitable to use with MVBs, if you favor that type of bulb. The deep domes cause them to overheat and burn out prematurely.
2. These double domes are most often used with a heat lamp and a coil bulb for UV. Coil bulbs sometimes burn tortoises eyes, and they are also not effective UV sources. I recommend they not be used.
3. If used for heat with a CHE (ceramic heating element) and a bulb for light, it puts too much heat on one side and not enough else where. Generally a CHE is used to maintain ambient warmth in the enclosure. This being the case, the CHE should be mounted somewhere around the middle of the enclosure and regulated by a thermostat. You still need a basking bulb for daytime heat, and this should be over one end of the enclosure so that your tortoise can move closer to, or farther from, the "sun", in order to thermoregulate throughout each day. Using a double dome prevents this necessary separation of heating element and basking bulb.
4. Individual bulbs should be hung over the enclosure and then adjusted up or down to get the correct temperatures under them. Having them mounted side-by-side in a double dome prevents this.

Keep those questions coming.

Mariel

Iowa
welcome to the forum, hope your new tortoise is doing well!

Jason David

Thank you, everyone!

Yes sir. Happy to explain.

Keep those questions coming.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I really wish I had done more research. I feel like I'm playing catch up and I just want him to be healthy and happy. I'm working on a basic kiddie pool outdoor habitat for him for the daytime until I can create a nicer habitat for the long term. He still isn't eating, though.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thank you, everyone!

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I really wish I had done more research. I feel like I'm playing catch up and I just want him to be healthy and happy. I'm working on a basic kiddie pool outdoor habitat for him for the daytime until I can create a nicer habitat for the long term. He still isn't eating, though.

Have you mad any changes yet to his indoor set up? If so post up some pics so we can see