New Sulcata

Jen H.

Hi! I was just given a new Sulcata.` I already have a 2 month old sulcata and a marginated (separated) in doors.
I was just given (owner was moving and couldn't take) a 5? year old (that's what I was told) sulcata. I quickly set up an area for her outside. I live in southern California near the beach and I'm wondering about a heating pad for in her house for at night..????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jen:

If your night time temps stay above 60F you don't need any heat. When it gets closer to winter you may need to add external heat at night. You might be able to get by with a ceramic heat emitter.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Jen, I know you have your hands full with the new arrivals. A 5 year old sulcata can be a lot to care for by itself. You may get by with no heat or minimal heat from a ceramic heat emitter for now, but fall nights and winter days (if we get any rain this year) will be too cold for your sulcata outside. Many of us in Southern Cali have constructed night boxes for our juvenile or adult sulcata and heat them with oil-filled raditated heaters. The box I house mine in is based on a design that Tom made popular. Here is a thread on how he constructed his: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
Good luck and post lots of pictures.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I converted a shed into a 8' x 12 ' heat house. I have two sullies that aren't even 3 years old, and they weigh about 40 lbs. Also, I got a rescued sully who's 4 years old and weighs about 20 lbs now. All live in the shed which is insulated and have radiated heaters, heading pads(Kane blankets), an exhaust fan, and two humidifiers. Now, some may say that's excessive, but I give everything to make theirs lives as comfortable as possible. I live in the northern part of Florida, and last winter was brutal. If my torts didn't have their blankets, sheltered shed and heaters, they would have died in that cold.

Jen H.

Thanks for the responses! IS there ANY way to tell how old this rescue I've taken in really is??? I feel like its small for being 5. The lady I got her from had her in a small outside area (only a mile from my house) with 2 other (different kind) tortoises and from what I know she only fed them hibiscus flowers and provided no heat...ever. She IS eating, pooping and very active.... and super cute!!! :) I did get a dog house for her that she goes in at night. It has a removable bottom on it, I put in a few handfuls of timothy hay that she burrows in at night... should I take off the wood bottom?
I will try to post some pictures of her area and hope for suggestions :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Jen:

If your night time temps stay above 60F you don't need any heat.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

I respectfully disagree. Especially near the beach where it doesn't heat up like it does at our places.

Jen, here are some boxes I built for my guys. Coastal areas are infamous for making some tortoise species sick due to the cold clammy weather. I grew up quite near the beach, and its a whole different environment compared to where I live now. Having a heated night box is a good way to keep your tortoise warm, happy and healthy on those cool clammy beach nights.

Check these out for some ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Jen H.

I'm trying to post pictures now, but I've got to get them from my phone to my computer and I'm having problems doing that :/
I ordered a heating pad for in her house but have not received it yet. Do these work ok?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
She needs to be soaked at least twice a day...30 minutes per session! In addition, she'll need to be kept VERY warm and VERY humid...literally, no cooler than 85ºF and minimum 75% RH...100% is better!

Jen H.

IMG_3778.JPG Quickly built this area when I adopted herIMG_3778.JPG IMG_3778.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3779.JPG
    IMG_3779.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Jen H.

Sorry about the duplicate pictures!!! Still learning to upload them :)

I started soaking her when I got her last week. I was only doing once a day... I will bump her up to 2xs a day

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...also, go get a heat gun. You can probably keep her in that enclosure for an hour or two...but she'll need to spend the majority of the time in a hot/humid chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise has had a very dry history. When they are kept too dry, which is what almost every book, breeder, vet and expert still incorrectly recommend, it makes them grow very slowly and form those pyramids that you see.

Heat mats can work, but you need the right size and type. You will also need a properly insulated box and another heat source to keep it warm enough in winter. Please check out the links I posted for how to do this.

Your enclosure needs to have solid sides. A visual barrier all around. They often injure themselves trying to push through fences that they can see through. We have a member here who posted pics after her large sulcata actually busted through her wrought iron fence. Here are some examples of how to do this. Just check out the walls in this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Jen, you've got some of the best advice you'll ever get! Your tort could very well be 5 years old, but as Tom said, it is lumpy (pyramided) due to being raised "dry." Your tort will one day disappear if you do not set up a wall that your tort can't see through. The wall must be heavy duty because it will one day ram through anything it can see through. They are extremely strong and have been known to break through foundations of a house! Spare yourself the trouble now by taking steps to build an enclosure that will be warm, humid, and safe for your tort. I took one year to plan and build the outdoor enclosure I now have for my sullies. In the summer, it's extremely important to keep your tort safe from overheating especially if temps get to be over 90 degrees out. While their enclosure needs to be 80 + degrees, they do not spend hot days in the sun. In the wild, on hot days they burrow to keep humid and to maintain a constant warm temp. Again, get a temp gun, change the outdoor perimeter (walls) you have now, and if it's warm outside (above 80 degrees), you wouldn't need to turn on a heating blanket. That should be used ay nights when temps fall below 80 degrees.

Btw, your tort looks very precious, and stay in touch here to get all the help you need to keep your tort happy and safe.

Jen H.

Thank you for your information!!! I will work on all these things you have suggested!