New Sulcata Tortoises

animallover1999

5 Year Member
Yesterday I got two little sulcata tortoises. The guy said they were both about 2 years old. One still fits in one hand and the other is about twice that size. I paid $100 for both of them and their cage and supplies. As soon as I saw them, I knew that they weren't being fed right because of the way their shells looked. I didn't really hold them much yesterday so they could get used to the surroundings. Today, when I was bringing then outside, I noticed their shell was very soft. The little one's shell is worse, but she's the more active one. They both eat and get around very well so far. I was wondering how I could fix their shell.

Attachments

• 1418508195109.jpg
    1418508195109.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 25
  • 1418508214218.jpg
    1418508214218.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 25

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
wow those have bad metabolic bone disease, glad you rescued them! advise: there cage should be 4 times the size they are in right now. they should not be kept in a pair because one will become dominant and harass the smaller one. can you make an outside enclosure? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/ what type of light are you using? does it have UVB? there is going to be lots more information:)!

phebe121

They are cute is this a temporary set up i think its a bit small

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi:

It is VERY important for you to feed these tortoises a diet high in calcium. There are several calcium-rich greens that you can feed, and also put a pinch of calcium powder on their food - but not too much or they won't eat it. And the calcium can't work without the sun. You need to get them out into the sun or buy a GOOD UVB light. Calcium and UVB. That's the only way to 'fix' those shells and bones. See how the bigger one looks a little flat instead of high domed? He's starting to collapse. This is very serious. I don't know if you're going to be able to save him. Work hard at it and good luck.