New sulcata owner from the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickfred

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I got my sulcata Fred a month ago. The store I got him (it's a boy for now) from said he was about 8 months old. He now weighs 103g. He currently stays in a 2x2 plastic box while I'm having his table built. I don't have room for a 4x8' table so it's 40x24" but he's out in the garden 3-4 hours a day, eats greens, Bermuda grass and weeds. When I got him he already had pyramiding, but not as much as the others in the batch, and he was the smallest.

In the philippines humidity ranges from 40-70% based on my hygrometer. Temp is around 86 degrees this time of year. I have a lot of questions, I'll post them in a different thread later on. This forum helped a lot, especially since I don't know any other sulcata owners here.

May

fred2.jpeg
fred3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Frank is so cute. He almost looks like a little statue. Welcome to TFO! Some time when you have time, could you show us what Fred looks like from above?

clickfred

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Frank is so cute. He almost looks like a little statue. Welcome to TFO! Some time when you have time, could you show us what Fred looks like from above?

here's the top view

fredtop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, we love sulcata's around here...
Hes adorable :)

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Fred's adorable. I'm new too so I'm not sure if that's pyramiding? but one day I'd wish to get a sulcata too.. and a leopard.. haha I think all tortoise owners eventually start out at one and end up with a dozen!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Hello....your tort sure is cute!.....from the top view it almost looks like a split scute, but idk for sure.....if possible you can build an outdoor enclosure for him...he will get huge!!....but that will take some time....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can he stay out on the garden all the time? is it secure? He will quickly outgrow what you build inside...

clickfred

5 Year Member
Thanks! No it's not secure, he has to be watched. I'm scared someone would reach in and steal him. The backyard is secure but there's a drainage hole that he can easily fall through and it's a hundred foot fall. I can cover it with wire. I'm thinking of just using his tortoise table as a sleep enclosure or for the rainy season, which is 5 months here and we get rain during dry season too.

A week after I got him I already wanted another one but they're hard to find here. I now understand why some of you have so many! It's hard to stop!! :)

ch4r13s

5 Year Member
Welcome Kabayan. I'm from the Phils too, and also a new sulcata owner, about a month now... where are you from the Phils? pm me :D

Charles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi May:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Fred is a real cutey pie! You can put a little Vaseline on the seam there on top where it looks like its stuck to the one in front of it. That will help it to separate and grow.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
clickfred said:
Thanks! No it's not secure, he has to be watched. I'm scared someone would reach in and steal him. The backyard is secure but there's a drainage hole that he can easily fall through and it's a hundred foot fall. I can cover it with wire. I'm thinking of just using his tortoise table as a sleep enclosure or for the rainy season, which is 5 months here and we get rain during dry season too.

A week after I got him I already wanted another one but they're hard to find here. I now understand why some of you have so many! It's hard to stop!! :)

you can find alot of information on this forum..and you can also get ideas for building an outdoor enclosure....while he is still small you can house him inside but he will grow to over 200 pounds and will need room to roam around.....

Status
Not open for further replies.