New setup!

Skip1USL

Location (City and/or State)
Gloucester, UK
Hi

We live in Gloucester, south west England.

We're about to acquire a 12 year old male testudo graeca, and we're working on his outdoor accommodation.

We've ordered a fully insulated house (see picture), and our plan is to have a ceramic heater connected to a dimmer thermostat (Habistat) in the sleeping area and a mercury vapour basking lamp in the "day room".

The outdoor pen will be constructed from double-height decking planks with open corners (more than 90 degrees) and a capping strip to prevent escape attempts. There'll be an area of blue slate chippings, a sunken terracotta pot plant saucer, a south-facing "basking slope" and a few other bits and pieces to make it interesting.

As I'm a complete newbie, though, I'd appreciate any guidance.

TIA
Paul

Attachments

• Tortoise-house-100x50x95-Fully-insulated-Tortoise-Houses-wooden-building-313553152.jpg
    Tortoise-house-100x50x95-Fully-insulated-Tortoise-Houses-wooden-building-313553152.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 9

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent UK and our Graeca that we have had for 46 years.

You don't need any form of additional UVB for a tort that gets outdoors regularly. A basking lamp is handy for a hot start on cooler days, but that can just be the plain reflector bulb type.

I don't use any additional night heat. You shouldn't need the CHE.

Please see my thread about outdoor accommodation in the UK.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

I am happy to answer all your questions :)