Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Looking good!! I wouldn't recommend taking him outside in those temps though

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is where I find a heat gun invaluable.

On a sunny day in the high 60s, the ground temp in the sun can easily reach the 80s. But in the shade, or under cover (as a young tortoise will normally seek cover) a young tortoise will cool quickly to the 60s. That is an invitation for a RI to start. I do like to get my tortoises out as much as possible, and will do so some days that are around 70. But, especially with a young tortoise under 6", I am checking their shell temp every 10-15 minutes with a heat gun and watching to see they haven't hid in a shady spot. I love the natural sunlight and natural forage, but if they are not interested and seek shelter out of full sun, its' time to take them back in.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This is where I find a heat gun invaluable.

On a sunny day in the high 60s, the ground temp in the sun can easily reach the 80s. But in the shade, or under cover (as a young tortoise will normally seek cover) a young tortoise will cool quickly to the 60s. That is an invitation for a RI to start. I do like to get my tortoises out as much as possible, and will do so some days that are around 70. But, especially with a young tortoise under 6", I am checking their shell temp every 10-15 minutes with a heat gun and watching to see they haven't hid in a shady spot. I love the natural sunlight and natural forage, but if they are not interested and seek shelter out of full sun, its' time to take them back in.
Very good points Mark.

BILBO-03

Week 4 update:

Weight-45.29

Well he's growing and eating well. He has a lot of white growth coming in I can't wait till he gets that speckled look though;)

BILBO-03

Well I wasn't able to do a update yesterday because I had basketball and got home late and tried to weigh him and I dropped my scale and it broke:(
But hopefully by next week I can get another one! He's still eating a lot it seems like his appetite has been getting bigger so I guess that's a plus:)

BILBO-03

Week 6 update:

Well I ordered another scale but it's not here yet. :( but we had some nice 75+ days here so he's got some outside time. Also he's getting A lot more white not just in the top of his shell but on the sides as well!

BILBO-03

Week 7 update:

Weight-57.13 grams

I have a question in the time I've had him he only gone the cool side 5 times. Is that normal I've checked the temps they are right. He just sits and basks so I'm hoping this is normal?