New Russian Tortoise owner: light question

Emilee

Hello! So happy to have found this forum, We are new tortoise owners and have never had reptiles before, so want to be sure we do this right to have a healthy and happy tortoise. There is a lot of conflicting info re: lighting and warmth. We have a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and also a coiled uvb light. I have a 55 gallon enclosure. A couple of questions: The cooler side is at about 70 degrees and is also where I have a water container he can soak in or drink out of. Does this sound right? The warm side is where I have both of the bulbs, attached at the top with Flukers clamp domes. The enclosure is very tall, the bottom being about 18 inches from where the bulbs are clamped above. It is 4 feet by 2 feet long. I also have a heating pad that sticks to the tank stuck on the outside of the side wall of the warm side. The internal temp of the warm side is only getting to about 78 degrees. This doesn't seem warm enough based on what I keep reading that the warm side should be 95. Where I'm confused is whether the entire warm side needs to be 95 degrees or is it just a certain basking "spot" that needs to be at that high temp? Either way, I'm not sure how to get it warmer. Do I add another heat emitter, do I get a higher watt, or should I get a stand light holder to lower it further into the enclosure? To add a little more confusion, we are going to build a simple second story to give them more room to roam on part of the enclosure. I could put this over by the heat light so he can get closer to the heat. What do you think about that? Also, I've just read that the coil UVB bulb is not a good idea, as it could hurt his eyes. I don't have a lid on the enclosure so don't have a way to prop one of the long tube fixtures up top. Is there a safer bulb that would work? Or, do I need to figure out a screen lid and get the bulb? Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Emilee, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you that aquariums are not good for Russian tortoises. You just can't get one big enough for a Russian. Aquariums gallons are measured by volume, that is, up the sides to the top of the tank. Your Russian doesn't need something with tall sides, he needs a lot of floor space. So to that end, a water trough or a large plastic tub would be much cheaper to use for an enclosure.

Let me tell you why such a small species requires a large space. Russian tortoises come from the steppe. Food is scarce, so they are hard-wired to wander great distances in search of food. It doesn't matter to your tortoise that he now doesn't have to wander, that food is provided for him, because it's in his nature to wander. He can't help it. Confined to a small space, and yes, a 55 gallon aquarium is a small space, he's going to keep digging at the corners and climbing the walls trying to get out.

So now on to your questions. With an adult tortoise, you probably won't need the heat emitter. But what you do need is a GOOD UVB light, and the coiled bulb is not that animal. You will need either a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) or a tube type fluorescent bulb:

160-watt.jpg

(Picture shows 160watt bulb, but a 100 watt would be fine)

or:

media.nl

With the MVB you don't need another heat source, it's UVB and heat in the same fixture. With the fluorescent tube, you DO need the heat source, but you already have a CHE, so that's fine.

With a very large container that has a big floor space, you will be able to have a nice temperature gradient across the whole thing - 100 - 105F directly under the light, fading to about 80F at one end and room temperature at the other end. And if your house doesn't get real, real cold at night, you probably won't need night time heat. Down in the low 70s F is fine for an adult Russian at night. The package instructions for lights usually tells you the light should be about 12-14 inches from the top of the tortoise's carapace.

Russian tortoises don't seem to be big drinkers. A clay plant saucer sunk down into the substrate is good for water. I have my waterers about in the middle of the habitat.

Stick-on heat pads really don't do much when on an outside side wall. I think you'll find that a MVB will heat up the enclosure nicely and you won't really need the pad.

Screen filters out the good UVB rays, so if you use a screen, you'll have to cut a hole in it for the light.

You mention a second story for "them". Does them mean you have more than one Russian? Your aquarium isn't big enough for one Russian, and way too small for two. Besides that, Russians are very scrappy little tortoise and they can do very bloody fighting. A pair of tortoises is a recipe for a big fight. They are territorial and each one wants to be king of the territory.

We have a darned good care sheet for you to read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Good luck with your new little tortoise. Please ask any questions. l We're more than happy to give you the benefit of our experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please excuse the xx's. Forum program is acting up and I'm not able to change or send stuff to the trash.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please excuse the xx's. Forum program is acting up and I'm not able to change or send stuff to the trash.

FeeBee76

Isle of Man
Hi Emily. I only joined a few days ago and have made some changes for my two aleady... Finally named Errol and Flynn! Mine are together at the moment at they seem fine but after joining here I now know that as they get to about 2 years old they will have to separated (perhaps before depending on how they got on). I too have the coil uv bulb and after reading here have bought the two in one recommend above. Bit more expensive but what's cost when its the health of your shell baby. Good questions n the answers are something else I have noted! X