New Russian Tortoise Not Eating

TheMightyDot

I just bought a new Russian Tortoise, his name is Edwin! I had him shipped over night from Florida. He is living in a 4' x 4' enclosure. Its 95 degrees Fahrenheit in the basking area and 76 on the side furthest from the basking area. I assume he needs to adjust. I got him yesterday morning at 9 am. It is 5:45 the next day. I have taken him out side, I have bathed him and he can be very active. He just doesn't want to eat. I am trying to feed him kale, red peppers and various weeds from outside. He immediately goes and burrows in the coldest section when he is in his enclosure. And he doesn't move after that. Any advise or feedback would be nice. Thanks - Garrett.

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
give him time to adjust to his new surrounding..his whole universe just changed so he feels safe in hide; given time he will venture out . As you begin a daily routine; he will adjust.

TheMightyDot

Can we see pics of the enclosure? That'll be helpful to see if anything is missing or harmful :)

This is the enclosure, plants and more rocks will be added with time. How are the lights? Is there a certain way they should be ranged?? Right now in this picture, my tortoise is up at the top left corner, burrowed under the mulch. Also during the day natural sunlight comes in through the window and I'll let him outside once a day to enjoy the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
What kind of lights are they? I'd prefer a strip UVB light to ensure it's easy for the tort to get it. I'd also get a bigger water bowl. Most of us use a terra cotta bowl sunk into the substrate. Stay away from the pet store bowls, they are either not wide enough or too deep/steep.

Eduardo Hernandez

You might wanna add more hides in there as well. Definitely a humid hide. I'd be careful with it being next to a window, it can make it hotter than usual, so check all the temps when the sun is shining through the window.

On a side note, what food are you offering? Looks like strawberries or tomatoes, both of which should not be fed to your tort.

TheMightyDot

You might wanna add more hides in there as well. Definitely a humid hide. I'd be careful with it being next to a window, it can make it hotter than usual, so check all the temps when the sun is shining through the window.

On a side note, what food are you offering? Looks like strawberries or tomatoes, both of which should not be fed to your tort.
Well the lights are from a trotoise light kit, its a 75 watt UVB bulb and a desert basking bulb. It's 95 degrees currently with the sun on it. The food is kale and red peppers as I stated earlier. And I will be adding more hides, rocks and plants, soon.

Eduardo Hernandez

Is the UVB bulb coiled? Those are known to hurt the tort's eyes. I'd turn it off asap, the tort will be fine without UVB until you can get a better one.

Red peppers shouldn't be fed, and kale should be fed in moderation. If you aren't growing your own food and just buy them at the grocery store, you can get spring mix and just pick out most of the spinach. Endive and escarole are also great to feed.