New Russian Tortoise Help

Duran

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
image.jpg image.jpg I purchased my little guy from Petco today. I've been wanting one for years and today she caught my eye and I couldn't leave lil' mang behind.

I have a few questions & concerns, if someone could help that would be great!

1. I think it's a male, pictures below. Thoughts?

2. Age? I measured her w a loose tape measure, the kind using for sewing. From tip to tip (shell), I got 5 inches, side to side too, roughly.

3. He bobs his head at me. ? He hates me?

4. At the pet store, he was the "uglier" of the two but had the most energy. His shell is a little rough and not as smooth as the other, do they shed? The lady at the pet store knew nothing.

5. He's been eating and digging, only day one. Taking him to the vet on Monday for his first check up. Anything I should ask, besides a poop test?

Thank you for all your help! Xooxooo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello, Welcome and congrats. He is probably wild caught and about 4-6 years of age, maybe a little more. That is what Petco usually gets, along with other pet stores like them. It doesn't hate you, the head bob is normal. I don't know why they do it. Yes they do shed. Be sure to give him a low sided water dish he can go into and I would soak him in warm water for 20-30 minutes a couple times a week for a couple weeks to get him hydrated from probably not being soaked at all since being captured and then once a month after unless you never see him drink or getting in his water, then soak once a week. At the beginning of the russian section should be a stickie fir a care sheet.