New Russian tortoise. food question

stephrs818

Hello we just came back from a reptile show and we bought our first Russian tortoise. We have no experience on reptiles so the guys at the show helped but I keep coming up with new questions. One how often are we supposed to feed them And how much? I read romaine lettuce is OK but not often. So I'm a lil confused on that. Second where should they uvd and baskin light be? In the middle or the corner of the tank? And water, is regular bottled drinking water OK? Please help lol I'm so new at this! Super excited thoigh! He is great super friendly!! His name is Bowser thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20150315_172920.jpg
    IMG_20150315_172920.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! the enclosure you have him in is way to small. feed him daily a large handful of food is fine for him, most of his diet should be nontoxic weeds like dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, and hawksbit. the enclosure should have a cool side of 80 and a basking spot of 95. tap water is fine for torts. read this entire care sheet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Feed at least once a day, as much as he will eat. I start with a pile about the size of the tortoise.. I feed in the morning, and again in the afternoon if it's all gone. Weeds are the best food. Variety is key in feeding. I use tap water. The bulbs should be where they work best for getting the temps right. In the Russian section there are great care guides. Welcome to the forum and congrats.