New Russian tortoise enclosure, FINALLY FINISHED!!! Cost - $10!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
This is my new Russian tortoise enclosure!! It turned out JUST like I wanted, and I am sooooo happy with it.

We built it mostly out of recycled materials. We only had to buy 4 landscape timbers, and one bag of topsoil. When all was said and done, it cost a little in elbow grease, but only $10, and I think it is pretty dang great!

Here it is!!

KristinasPictures252.jpg

KristinasPictures253.jpg

KristinasPictures254.jpg

KristinasPictures255.jpg

KristinasPictures256.jpg

KristinasPictures257.jpg

KristinasPictures258.jpg

KristinasPictures260.jpg

KristinasPictures259.jpg

KristinasPictures262.jpg

KristinasPictures263.jpg

KristinasPictures264.jpg

KristinasPictures266.jpg

KristinasPictures267.jpg

KristinasPictures268.jpg

KristinasPictures265.jpg

If you want to see start to finish pictures, visit my photobucket album

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/...urtle Enclosures - Outdoor/Russian Tortoises/

chadk

10 Year Member!
Looks awesome!! Tell us about the rock hide thing.....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks!!!

What the hide consists of is an oval shaped plastic garbage can. We drilled holes in the bottom, so it won't fill up with water in a sudden heavy rain, and then put a patio brick under the back end so that it will drain towards the front also. On the sides are stacked big pieces of cement that we gathered from where a home was being torn down. Then, I put the large flat rock on the top, with the cement bearing the weight of it, the flat rock to cover the bottom lip, and wedged the side ones in so that it was really tight. I stacked more cement around the back and sides to create a slope, and then covered the whole thing with dirt, a layer of potting soil, and then the sod that I had originally removed from the area.

KristinasPictures216.jpg

KristinasPictures.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Nice setup! That's a neat project and I like the hide area idea. Thanks for sharing and oh, adorable torties!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Ingenius using the trash can lid for your hide base...excellent! I trust you bring them in at night or are you going to incorporate some kind of lid to keep unwated visitors out...i.e. predators.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love it!!! It looks incredible!!
What are the dimensions?

Now come build something like that for Nelson! ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
DeanS said:
Ingenius using the trash can lid for your hide base...excellent! I trust you bring them in at night or are you going to incorporate some kind of lid to keep unwated visitors out...i.e. predators.

I actually used a trashcan, not just the lid.

38593.jpg

It was a Sterilite brand, the same one pictured there, only blue. I think I got it at Walmart for a dollar or two, and I just bleached it out and dechlored it before using.

Right now I am bringing them in at night. In the near future electric fencing will be utilized to deter predators. I also live in a residential area, and we don't get many scavengers. I know this for a fact because I leave my garbage on the porch at night, and it has never been torn into, lol.

ChiKat said:
I love it!!! It looks incredible!!
What are the dimensions?

Now come build something like that for Nelson! ;)

It ended up being about 5' X 10'. I have a postage stamp for a yard, so we have to utilize every single space, lol. The RF's are getting the biggest chunk, which will be 8' X 16'.

Buy me a plane ticket and feed me and you have a deal, LOL!! Oh, and you have to call in sick for me at work ;)

Thanks everyone! I am very pleased with it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Of course, it is 40 and raining today, so no one gets to go outside :( The Russians are clawing at the tub begging, though, lol. I fed them and they all passed out in a pile IN the food dish. They crack me up.

Almost got the pond and waterfall done for the RF enclosure, then Mika (my box turtle) will get her new enclosure.

Moving stinks, you have to start all over.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks!!! It is snowing today, two days in a row too cold for the torts to go out, and the Russians are MAD... lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the pen. You did a great job on it. But, I'm going to have to be one of your only nay sayers in the group. Piling dirt up onto the side of your house is asking for trouble. Your wood is going to rot away, and it makes it easier for termites to come out of the soil and into the wood.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your enclosure is so great, and that hide is one of the best I've ever seen. I am definitely coping something like that for my new enclosure.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
I love the pen. You did a great job on it. But, I'm going to have to be one of your only nay sayers in the group. Piling dirt up onto the side of your house is asking for trouble. Your wood is going to rot away, and it makes it easier for termites to come out of the soil and into the wood.

Not a problem. It isn't my house ;) It is my ancient shed that will be fine until I sell the place and move out, lol!!!

There is more cement than dirt touching the wood. The dirt layer is 6" thick or so.

terryo said:
Your enclosure is so great, and that hide is one of the best I've ever seen. I am definitely coping something like that for my new enclosure.

You have no idea how huge of a compliment that is for me :) Pio's living space is AMAZING, and hopefully I can borrow some of your Muse as I build the pen for the RF's I am adopting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.