new RT's left eye (word and pic heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
New RT (WC) has been having trouble with one eye, on and off since I got her about 2 months ago.
Her nose/breathing are very clear. R eye is always fine. She pees/poops and eats moderately, variety of greens with TNT 2x per week.
When I first got her, I had to wake her up for a soak, now she gets herself up to the basking light.

Problem is L eye: if open, appears clear and w/o swelling. no discharge. however, periodically she almost winces, then suddenly closes it and will mostly hold it closed for a few minutes. She tends to wander, then partially burrow, then wander. I think when she burrows she can hold her eyes closed and get a break from the symptoms.
There appears to be a 'speck' in the back corner of the eye that does not move, always there.
She gets soaked every day (mostly), often with strained baby food. This seems to help but does not solve the issue.

It has been a bit more bothersome recently, so I took her to one of the two Reptile vets in Portland, Or, from this list, last week.
He did not feel there was anything stuck in there or her eye would be very swollen. He did flush twice with saline. He said she was healthy otherwise. Fecal test negative. He thinks it is very early RI symptoms but start with Ofloxacin eye drops 2-3x per day.
{He also told me that my 'cool' side of 70 (basking 95F) was too cold and I should have the enclosure consistently at 80, not just while she has symptoms, but permanently. That I should cover the top with only a slit for air.:( }

Pics:
Enclosure (2 Rubbermaid totes with connecting door)
IMG_0010.jpg

Pic of her eye (bothering her) when eating
IMG_0001.jpg

When soaking
IMG_0002.jpg

Pic of her good R eye
IMG_0003.jpg

Pic of her Left eye when not bothering her (hard to get a good close up, but the speck is in the corner nearest her shell)
IMG_0004.jpg

Top view
IMG_0001_2.jpg

Sorry for the length, I just want to do the right thing by her.
Could this be irritation of the inner eyelid?
Just hang in there with soaks and drops?
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did the vet look at the eye with his magnifyer? He's probably not well-versed in eye medicine, but there's a dye that a doctor can put on the surface of the eye that makes any abnormalities such as a cut or scrape, or even a little sliver, show up under magnification. Ask your vet if he has this stuff, and if he doesn't, ask him if he can contact an opthamologist or optemitrist and acquire just a little bit for your tortoise's eye. There is something wrong and if soaks or washes or flushes were to help, it would have helped by now. In my opinion, there's something in the eye or on the eye.

Also, your temperature in the habitat is just fine. Russian tortoises seem to do better when they can get down in the 70's occasionally.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
The dye is Fluorescein it comes on a paper dip stick and the vet just touches the eye with it. it shows up scratches and damage to the cornea. I've found Terramycin eye ointment to be a very effective starting treatment for sore eye in red foots.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks, Yvonne. As far as I know, he did not look at the tort's eye with a magnifying glass (I wish I had been more pushy!). The vet tech took the tort out to weigh him, but otherwise the tort was in the room.
Yes, I am pretty happy with the enclosure itself.
I can get the stuff you mean, Fluorescein. I will get some Monday and take a look. And keep some on hand if I have to go back for a second visit to the vet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree that your temps are fine. Don't change a thing.

As far as the eye, I also agree to try some terramycin. The stuff is a miracle salve.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well I'm off to the feed store then, Terramycin it is. Any hints about actually getting in on the tort eye (I imagine you have to hold the head out for a minute, she is awfully quick).

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Terramycin is on back order, national shortage. Neither feed store can get it. Even hard to find on line, but I will keep looking. :(

M

Maggie Cummings

To use it you sneak up from behind with your hand from her tail to the back of her eye keeping your hand in the middle of her body then squeeze:) out a glob. If you have trouble doing it let me know and maybe we can get together and I will show you how it's done...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I will find a way. Had to order it online! I will try your technique.
Dont' worry, you will be seeing me when the weather is nicer. Seeing Bob is on my bucket list! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
UPDATE: new RT's left eye (word and pic heavy!)

Back to the vets again today. He did focus on the eye, examined and stained it.
The tort has a small corneal abrasion in the back of the L eye. <10% of the entire eye, in a small linear pattern.
Eyelids are not swollen, so he does not think there is something stuck in there, irritating the eye.
We have changed to eye antibiotic ointment.
Bad news, it is not clear what caused it (we hope there is not a tiny foreign body in there), and that these usually heal up more quickly.
(and in the back of my mind, the fear that it could be a viral infection like herpes...)
Good news is that it has not worsened.
Onward. Opinions welcome.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have had very good results using terramycin to heal herpes viral infections in kittens. I know that doesn't make sense, since terramycin is an antibiotic, and the herpes is a virus, but it works, and if it isn't broken, I don't fix it.

I don't really have any other suggestions, but I do wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks. I figured there weren't many other options, but just wanted to see what others had done in similar circumstances.
The Terramycin came from Tortoise Supply today (feed stores all on back order), so she's had her first dose.
It is really tough, she wakes up 'ok', but as soon as she tries to do something like eat, she starts wincing and blinking her L eye. Poor little thing.
I called about anything for pain relief, and the vet did suggest prescription Atropine eye drops, which dilate the pupil and relieve spasm. Will go to Safeway tonight to pick them up.
Then it is Terramycin 3x per day.
Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.