New Red Foot!

Shay Waddell

Hi guys! I am a new tortoise owner and I have a bunch of questions. First off, let me tell you about my little Memito. I got him roughly a month ago. The guy I got him from had said he's not a year old yet. Since I've gotten him, I've spent over $500 on him. I've done a ton of research about his care as well. My biggest problem is humidity. I have a wire mesh top and I tried covering it with a sheet of plastic to keep the humidity in but that didn't work. I also tried covering it with a wet towel but that seems to be failing as well. I mist several times a day. But my hunidity stays at around 55%. How do you guys keep up your humidity? The temp never gets below 80. Another question I have is enclosure ideas. I want to built a two story enclosure for him but I'm not quite sure how I want it. If I could ever figure out how to upload pictures on here, I'll post one of his current enclosure. I'm also concerned that his shell is beginning to pyramid due to the lack of humidity. I could also use some suggestions for his diet. He seems to be a little picky. He does not like yellow squash at all. He will eat apples occasionally. He loves him some spring mix though. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
My personal favorite is Eco Earth, mixed (3 parts to 1, EcoEarth to bark) with the chips you're using.
Any substrate that you can SOAK, that will stay moist will hold humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shay, and welcome to the Forum!

Pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand. Then put the plastic cover back over the habitat.

Shay Waddell

I put more coconut substrate and poured water and mixed it up. The humidity is at 73% now and still going up. He seems to be more active now as well. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399226243.749769.jpg

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
As for food, my girl won't touch yellow squash either. Try zuccini, canned pumpkin (no spices), sweet peppers (I remove the seeds), melon, strawberries, collard greens, and dandelion greens (from untreated/unsprayed lawns). Those are my girl's favorites. In time you'll learn what your tort likes best too.

Bullet's Mom

Wichita, KS
Hi Shay, and welcome to the Forum!

Pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand. Then put the plastic cover back over the habitat.
I've heard though that keeping the substrate too moist can lead to shell rot. I'm having a hard time with the humidity in my rf enclosure too. How moist can the substrate be? I use cypress mulch.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Also, a lot of folks do not like those water dishes. They are a flip hazard & your babycould drown :( a plane terra cotta plant saucer works great.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee