New Rainforest Redfoot Terrarium

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
This is the yearling Redfoot habitat. It's fitted with tall plants that provide cover but can't be reached. I'll make a mistking setup thread when I install the system. It is constructed of 5 sheets of 3/4 inch pine. Inside is a double layer of pond liner to prevent wood expansion and contact with the wood. The top is 1/4 inch glass. It is heated with a RHP and an incandescent bulb. I also have a 48 inch strip light fitted with a Uvb bulb and an 11 inch led for the plants. Substrate is topsoil topped with orchid bark. Enjoy! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009067.400027.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009088.759873.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009102.834214.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009118.292540.jpg
The RHP is under a sheet of wood at the end of the enclosure. It is only on at night.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009130.898488.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009231.816435.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423009258.712759.jpg

Thanks guys.

Kevin

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice job! Don't forget to have him a place to completely dry off . Reds get shell rot easy . I love this setup awesome job . What kind of plants do you have? I may still some of your ideas to make my enclosure more eye pleasing .

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice job! Don't forget to have him a place to completely dry off . Reds get shell rot easy . I love this setup awesome job . What kind of plants do you have? I may still some of your ideas to make my enclosure more eye pleasing .

The orchid bark dries out on top. I had just completed the weekly watering of plants so it looks wet. He also has 3 hides. 1 on each side and one in the middle.

Turtlepete

South Florida
The orchid bark dries out on top. I had just completed the weekly watering of plants so it looks wet. He also has 3 hides. 1 on each side and one in the middle.

Don't be afraid to mist 'em, they love it. All the young I raise are kept quite wet. I always make sure to provide them with substrate they can burrow into and be surrounded in moist substrate. Direct moisture like this keeps them growing smooth ;).

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Beautiful enclosure! It definitely shows that you didn't skimp on anything. With a set up like that, I wouldn't doubt that you'll have a bold, healthy redfoot in the near future. Keep us posted!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Don't be afraid to mist 'em, they love it. All the young I raise are kept quite wet. I always make sure to provide them with substrate they can burrow into and be surrounded in moist substrate. Direct moisture like this keeps them growing smooth ;).

Thank you. I'm quite aware. Notice the mistking comment in the main post. He's also in a closed chamber. Thanks for looking out though!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Beautiful enclosure! It definitely shows that you didn't skimp on anything. With a set up like that, I wouldn't doubt that you'll have a bold, healthy redfoot in the near future. Keep us posted!

Thank you. That means a lot coming from you. Your enclosures are magnificent .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thank you. That means a lot coming from you. Your enclosures are magnificent .

Naaah. It only looks good because it's busy looking with all the plants. It's like drawing.. all the guidelines make a picture look busy and more artsy like you know what you're doing :p

I'd love to know how all those plants of yours grow over time. I know I've had to remove a few bromeliads because they were knocked over, add plants because they were smooshed or eaten down, or some plants just don't do well for various reasons.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Naaah. It only looks good because it's busy looking with all the plants. It's like drawing.. all the guidelines make a picture look busy and more artsy like you know what you're doing :p

I'd love to know how all those plants of yours grow over time. I know I've had to remove a few bromeliads because they were knocked over, add plants because they were smooshed or eaten down, or some plants just don't do well for various reasons.

Makes sense. Still think you have skill for enclosure building. Ya I'm thinking I'll have to trim leaves so you can still see the little guy. I'll keep you posted on plant removal and trimming if I end up doing that.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW!!!!

This is very nice enclosure!!!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
What a well thought out enclosure. Great job.
I like the Pachira aquatica tree you have in there---I think they grow to about 60 feet. Of course, by that time your tortoises will be fully adult old timers!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Did you leave the plants in pots or plant them directly into your soil?