new plants for steve

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
Ok, so I just bought additional prickly pears (indian fig) and a tropical hibiscus for Steve as he was eating his existing ones to the point of no return. Question, the prickly pears didn't show traces of anything in the potting soil they came in but the hibiscus potting soil had the little white bits in it. I rinsed all the soil off before planting and used g&b organic harvest supreme for the transplant. I attached picture of soil. I know I've read stuff about waiting months before feeding, is this accurate info? Is there anyway to speed up process if it is? 1415740316203.jpg

Prairie Mom

Your organic potting soil looks great! I've been curious about the answer to your question as well. My understanding is that cacti and succulents have the ability to store water and nutrients for so long that I wonder if your prickly pear would retain the fertilizer for a long time? @Kenno has an amazing cacti/succulent collection and actually grows them competitively. I wonder if he could add any thoughts to the conversation? :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would think that after the plant has processed it that it is safe but I don't know squat about that, just guessing.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Quick question and clarification. "..before feediing." Before feeding the hibiscus plant, or before feeding flowers produced from that plant? I wouldn't worry at all about the flowers produced from a fertilized plant.

Alaskamike

South Florida
To me ... The issue is not if they've ever been fertilized , but if they've been fertilized with a systemic. There are fertilizers that include a bug killer /resistance chemical that is drawn up into the leaves and flowers. Most plants grown for resale have been treated this way. Keeps them looking nice on the shelf.

There is a train of thought that any plant that's been fertilized is bad for torts. I don't understand this logic. Fertilizer is nutrient. It dissolves in the water and is drawn up to nourish the plant. That is all.

It is bug killer / resistance chemicals that are a problem. These must be avoided.

How long does it take a systemic to be flushed from a plant? That depends. Some last an entire season. It is recommended a person not eat fruit from a treated plant for a minimum of 30 days. Personally I won't feed a store bought plant until it's been in the ground 6 months

That white stuff you see in the soil of purchased plants is perlite - a naturally occurring volcanic glass used to keep the soil from getting too compacted. It is bad for torts and yes.... They will eat it. Don't get any close to your babies.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Quick question and clarification. "..before feediing." Before feeding the hibiscus plant, or before feeding flowers produced from that plant? I wouldn't worry at all about the flowers produced from a fertilized plant.
Before feeding to the tortoise.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
To me ... The issue is not if they've ever been fertilized , but if they've been fertilized with a systemic. There are fertilizers that include a bug killer /resistance chemical that is drawn up into the leaves and flowers. Most plants grown for resale have been treated this way. Keeps them looking nice on the shelf.

There is a train of thought that any plant that's been fertilized is bad for torts. I don't understand this logic. Fertilizer is nutrient. It dissolves in the water and is drawn up to nourish the plant. That is all.

It is bug killer / resistance chemicals that are a problem. These must be avoided.

How long does it take a systemic to be flushed from a plant? That depends. Some last an entire season. It is recommended a person not eat fruit from a treated plant for a minimum of 30 days. Personally I won't feed a store bought plant until it's been in the ground 6 months

That white stuff you see in the soil of purchased plants is perlite - a naturally occurring volcanic glass used to keep the soil from getting too compacted. It is bad for torts and yes.... They will eat it. Don't get any close to your babies.
Ok good info and good point re difference in fertalizer vs. pesticide. I wasked out all the perlite from the root system of the hibiscus and planted in the new soil. Did same for the prickly pear though there was no evidence of perlite or any other fertalizer/pesticide use on the prickly pear. Really, 6 months? I really don't want to have to start feeding Steve store bought greens until the hibiscus can detox and my existing hibiscus plants are pretty much leafless at this point. But I guess better safe than sorry. Any recommendations for a good seed place? Maybe I can start some quick grow grazer trays in the meantime.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
"Steve"

Said in my best robotic monkey voice (it's from the kids movie 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs')

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Lol, I have a habit of naming everything I own Steve. Steve the tortoise, Steve the bicycle, Steve the rubberband ball, etc just makes life easier... Love the cherryhead and sulcata names. I'm trying desperately to convince my wife that Bruce Wayne is the perfect name for our firstborn son (already got her to agree that if we have a girl, we will name her Harley Quinn).

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
"Steve"

Said in my best robotic monkey voice (it's from the kids movie 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs')

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Follow up question: Is it your goal to assemble the entire justice league in tortoise form?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Follow up question: Is it your goal to assemble the entire justice league in tortoise form?

Yes! I named my Cherryhead Bruce Wayne because he has a perfectly shaped "batman" symbol scute (most do and the outgrow it). So because of that my wife named renamed our sully Hal Jordan. The next Cherryhead will be named Robin

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Yes! I named my Cherryhead Bruce Wayne because he has a perfectly shaped "batman" symbol scute (most do and the outgrow it). So because of that my wife named renamed our sully Hal Jordan. The next Cherryhead will be named Robin

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
I'm really going to reveal myself as a nerd here, but the question must be asked: Which Robin? Richard (because this forum apparently censors the shortened version of Richard) Grayson, Damien Wayne, Jason Todd, etc...?

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
My reptile veterinarian said don't use any potting soil with bat guano in it. I think his reason was that bat guano could transmit parasites or disease.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
My reptile veterinarian said don't use any potting soil with bat guano in it. I think his reason was that bat guano could transmit parasites or disease.
Oh bummer, because it's already down on the ground.... I think it should be good because he's not living in his outside set up and that's the only place I put it down. It'll be months before he's back in there full time, so I have to imagine anything bad will have been watered down/frozen out/etc... by then right? As long as I quarantine him from that portion when I take him out on weekends he should be good. (Sorry I'm thinking/typing out loud here). If anyone knows the above thought train to be wrong, I'm open to advice. Thanks for the heads up regarding the guano!!

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Well I have some seeds, "dry climate grazing mix", on order from Tortoise Supply, so hopefully I'll have the first crop established in time to keep Steve nice and plump without having to turn to grocery store produce. This tortoise is really testing the limits of my green thumbs.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Ok, now here's a big question. Since purchasing the hibiscus and prickly pears from our local nursery Plant World and reading the threads about detoxing store bought plants, I've called the nursery three times and spoken to 3 different employees who have all assured me that they are a chemical free nursery and don't use pesticides/insecticides on their plants... Do/should I believe them?

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
When parasites are a potential issue unfortunately I don't think time is enough. But I can think of something you can do. I know it's a hassle, but you could dig up the soil, and bake it in your oven at 350° for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer. Just put it on a cookie sheet, and know that it will make a smell. I thought back on what my vet said, and I recall he also said no to using anything with chicken manure as well. (Chickens are reptiles also.) He was okay with cow manure, because they're mammals and unlikely to pass along any things that tortoises or turtles could get. (I don't use anything with cow manure either though, just to be on the safe side.)

As you're preparing your yard, one other thought I have is that even consulting the poisonous plants list in your planning still doesn't quite cover all the bases, in my experience. Poisonous plants that are very dangerous to desert tortoises can sneak in to the yard. Keep your eye out for any mushrooms as they can be highly toxic to desert tortoises. I lost a desert tortoise when he ate a toxic mushroom I didn't know was growing in my yard. Oleander is another really bad one, which can pop up in the yard without your planting it. That doesn't happen as often as the mushrooms can, but it's good to be on the lookout. There's also a few other plants that are a problem – they are on that desert museum desert tortoise care sheet link that I gave you not long ago.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
When parasites are a potential issue unfortunately I don't think time is enough. But I can think of something you can do. I know it's a hassle, but you could dig up the soil, and bake it in your oven at 350° for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer. Just put it on a cookie sheet, and know that it will make a smell. I thought back on what my vet said, and I recall he also said no to using anything with chicken manure as well. (Chickens are reptiles also.) He was okay with cow manure, because they're mammals and unlikely to pass along any things that tortoises or turtles could get. (I don't use anything with cow manure either though, just to be on the safe side.)

As you're preparing your yard, one other thought I have is that even consulting the poisonous plants list in your planning still doesn't quite cover all the bases, in my experience. Poisonous plants that are very dangerous to desert tortoises can sneak in to the yard. Keep your eye out for any mushrooms as they can be highly toxic to desert tortoises. I lost a desert tortoise when he ate a toxic mushroom I didn't know was growing in my yard. Oleander is another really bad one, which can pop up in the yard without your planting it. That doesn't happen as often as the mushrooms can, but it's good to be on the lookout. There's also a few other plants that are a problem – they are on that desert museum desert tortoise care sheet link that I gave you not long ago.

Bummer again. Baking it is then I guess, better safe than sorry. I've baked things that tasted like dirt before, but never dirt itself.

Not too worried about poisonous plants. My yard was total rock scape until Steve came along and I moved said rock scape (shovelful by back-breaking shovelful) from the area now being used for his outdoor enclosure, so the only plants that exist there are ones I planted myself. If I see anything I didn't plant, it comes out immediately (regardless of it's good, bad or indifferent).

Maybe if I put in parasite eating flies, then follow up with fly eating spiders, then follow up with spider eating....o_O

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'm really going to reveal myself as a nerd here, but the question must be asked: Which Robin? Richard (because this forum apparently censors the shortened version of Richard) Grayson, Damien Wayne, Jason Todd, etc...?
I have decided yet but was leaning towards Grayson.... Maybe just stick with The Boy Wonder

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)