New Owner Of my Adorable Russian Tort!!!

Kiwi_04

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello fellow tortoise lovers and owners!!! I'm very excited to finally be on the forum! I live in upstate New York, and I don't really feel comfortable sharing my real name with all of you yet. Anyway, I have 5 inch male Russian tort named Kiwi. I'm not able to upload any pictures now because I am on a computer, but I will try to post pictures when I can. I'm a new owner and have a few questions.
I was wondering if Kiwi's enclosure is ok. It's a 40 gallon tank. I've heard that tanks stress tortoises out cause they can see through the glass and think they can walk further, but they can't. To try to prevent this, I put two pieces of felt at either end of the tank, but I don't know if that's enough. Should I get an enclosure that he can't see through?
My next question is should I get a companion for Kiwi? I read that tortoises like having a friend in their enclosure. If that is true, should I consider getting another Russian tortoise?
Anyway, thank you for feedback (if I get any) and I'm happy to be here with people who are as passionate about tortoises as I am!!!
-Kiwi_04

Loritort

Not sure 40 gallon is big enough for one let alone 2. I also agree that torts are territorial and should be kept in separate enclosures.
Congrats and best of luck:D

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

Kiwi_04

New York
Thank you all! And Thank's for the welcomes!
Even if the tortoises are the same species, I should keep them apart? I've also seen many tortoises together in the same enclosure.

Loritort

T
Thank you all! And Thank's for the welcomes!
Even if the tortoises are the same species, I should keep them apart? I've also seen many tortoises together in the same enclosure.

They should never be kept in pairs regardless. I know from experience having two male Russians sharing an enclosure is asking for trouble:(
I also think it's best to stick with one while learning the art of tortoise keeping.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Tortoises sometimes do well in groups, but almost never in pairs. Russians are a particularly scrappy species.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...earned-the-hard-way.94114/page-7#post-1513169
and many other threads.
Russian tortoises roam over very large territories in the wild, in captivity they still need plenty of space as the walking and patrolling is necessary for their digestive system to function properly. 8 feet by 4 feet would be considered an absolute minimum really, but as big as you can manage is better.

Kiwi_04

New York
Ok, I did read that 4ft by 2ft is an absolute minimum, I don't know if that's right, but that's what I have. I also let my tort roam outside in my backyard, I have a BIG backyard. I was also wondering about out door enclosures. I think they would be good, but not where I live. There are hawks sometimes that fly over my backyard. Plus at night, there's bats (I know bats don't eat tortoises, but they might freak out Kiwi) Plus the bugs are unbearable. And it gets really cold in the winter, I read some info about hibernating your tortoise, but I'm NOT going to do that. But thank you all for your feedback, I will take a look at those forums and websites when I can. :tort::<3::)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I don't hibernate mine, either, it's a choice thing, some do, some don't.
There is a good enclosure section here where there are good ideas for outside enclosures that are covered with mesh / netting to prevent predators. It would be great at least in the summer to have a dedicated enclosure, you can't beat real sunshine and torts love to be outside. :) Russians are great escape artists though, tremendous diggers and climbers, they're forever escaping so the enclosure sides need to be dug in and often lips placed in the corners to prevent the little tykes from climbing out!
Yes, i agree, you will need to keep them indoors in the winter, i'm afraid Kiwi, at a small adult size will need more than 4 by 2, some of the old information out there is just that, out of date. please have a look at those care sheets from this site, compiled by people with years of experience, all the latest information and techniques.

Loritort

That's so true! I'm learning how much my buddy likes being outside in the sunshine!
We go out everyday and he digs and hides from me. Kinda cool. I'm crazy about this little bugger:<3::tort: