New owner of a Horsefield tortoise

GraceR

I have bought my first tortoise today he is 3 months old I have bought him/her all the gear but really I have no idea. He's been moved in 3 hours now he is enjoying his roam around but I haven't seen him eat. I have put some soothing classical music on and I think he likes this. I have given him some ProRep tortoise food and a little bit of tomato, cabbage and carrot peel. I thought he would go mad for the tomato but nope. Also he's not drunk any water. Yes I am watching him/her intensely. Anybody got any food tips. Is bought food a good idea or should I stick to the fresh stuff?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Welcome!

Your tortoise should only eat dark, leafy greens like mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, endive, escarole, etc, and WEEDS. Like dandelion greens, clover, etc. Fruits and veggies are a no no usually.

It will also take awhile for your tort to settle in. Give him some space, some torts don't like to eat when people are watching. Just keep fresh food in there.

Here's a wonderful caresheet. Please read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3 hours? It might take 3 months for him to really settle in.

The food you are offering is not good. No tomato, limited cabbage once in a while, very little carrot. Your tortoise might not even know what ProRep is. What was it being fed before you got it? Try offering that and give it a few days to settle in.

Here are some links that will help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

GraceR

Thanks for the help. He seems a lot happier now he has been a lot more active than I thought he would be. Now I don't feel so silly for buying such a big enclosure for such a tiny tortoise. Iv taken what you have said on board. Iv looked into good and bad foods for tortoises a bit further and have given Norman some courgette, lettuce and just a little bit of carrot. I have got rid of the tomato and cabbage. Even if he was enjoying that quite a bit. He was being fed ProRep at the shop but hasn't taken to it so think I'll stick with fresh greens. Unfortunately it's winter here in the uk so weeds are in short supply. I will go get some artichokes and cress tomorrow. I'm adding calcium dust to the food so fingers crossed he'll do alright.

Also I am using Hemp bedding at the moment which seems alright. Should I change to sand? Or can anyone recommend a different type of bedding?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the help. He seems a lot happier now he has been a lot more active than I thought he would be. Now I don't feel so silly for buying such a big enclosure for such a tiny tortoise. Iv taken what you have said on board. Iv looked into good and bad foods for tortoises a bit further and have given Norman some courgette, lettuce and just a little bit of carrot. I have got rid of the tomato and cabbage. Even if he was enjoying that quite a bit. He was being fed ProRep at the shop but hasn't taken to it so think I'll stick with fresh greens. Unfortunately it's winter here in the uk so weeds are in short supply. I will go get some artichokes and cress tomorrow. I'm adding calcium dust to the food so fingers crossed he'll do alright.

Also I am using Hemp bedding at the moment which seems alright. Should I change to sand? Or can anyone recommend a different type of bedding?

In the UK look for "Rocket Salad". Also look for endive and escarole. Carrots are too high in sugar. Very little should be offered very infrequently. Try adding some blended up, rehydrated, grass hay to your grocery store greens to amend the lack of fiber they contain. Some pet shops carry bags of blended hay, or you might be able to find some horse cubes with no additives and rehydrate those. You only need a little.

Hold off on the calcium powder for a few days until you get him eating good, then a tiny pinch twice a week will do. Start researching and learning your weeds now so that when spring comes you can start introducing some good stuff.

No sand. It is an impaction risk and skin and eye irritant. Coco coir is the best substrate for baby russians with orchid bark being my second favorite. Make a thick layer and hand pack it down.

All this and more is in the care sheet.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Yes, skip the carrots & cabbage!!!!!! They seem to love romaine lettuce but shouldn't have it solely.