New owner of a 6 mo old Eastern Box Turtle

tiffew

Hi, I'm Tiffany. My 9 year old son and I joined this forum to learn how to best take care of his new pet. He is a sweet, loving boy who is allergic to animals with fur and dander and so a turtle seemed like a good fit. We have had the little turtle for two weeks and are intent on raising it to be a healthy and happy animal. Right now we can't get the little guy to eat and he prefers to stay buried beneath his moss, but we are hoping to learn how to entice him to show his face, develop a personality and eat! Nice to meet you all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Where are you located? He might be in hibernation mode and new home jitters. I don't have indoor experience with young Boxies so I will leave that for those who do. When/if temps and humidity are correct, then it l likely might just need adjusting time

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum tiffew!

Please read: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-hatchling-care-sheet.97144/

Your new eastern box turtle is very shy in its new environment. My wife is allergic to fur bearing animals, so even though we have a dog, box turtles are a better option in my household. They can be fun if you are patient and attend to details! You need a good hygrometer and a good thermometer. They should have a warm spot around 84F, a cool spot around 78F, and kept at around 80% humidity at all times as young turtles. If kept in these conditions, they will actively hunt for pill bugs and earthworms, grow, and thrive! If you post some pictures of your turtle and it's enclosure we can all offer additional assistance.

tiffew

Thanks. Can you recommend a hygrometer? I posted some photos in my other post just now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tiffany!

Once your new little turtle becomes accustomed to you bringing him the food every morning, he'll soon settle in and look to you as the food goddess. Baby box turtles are quite shy at first