New members and naming help!

caitlin5

Hello my name is Caitlin and I just recently joined the forum! I wanted to introduce myself and also ask for some thoughts and opinions on naming my new yearling red foot!!not the best photo but it gives you an idea!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486915965.425982.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello @caitlin5 and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

You can find very nice names for pets on the net. Sorry, I do not have much imagination here. My beloved Greek tort's name is OLI (which is the nickname of a German football player I am MADLY in LOVE with: OLIVER KAHN). :<3:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets and give your tort daily soaks in warm water. Make sure he's warm enough.

Any pics of your cutie's enclosure? ;)

caitlin5

Thanks for the reply!! I've been racking my brain for a name! Lol yes soaking daily and humidity stays around 80%! He seems to love to bury his lower half in the substrate under the plants in the enclosure, don't know if this is normal! But right now he is in a Indoor enclosure while it's cold here but his outdoor one is in the works! No pictures of it right now but I will take some soon!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum, very pretty red foot! She looks like she is wearing makeup, how about Maybelline?

caitlin5

Very creative! I love it! Do you think that anyone could help me determine if my yearling is a male or female that would really help with the name choosing!! I know at this age it's hard to tell but any advice on determining would be great!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello my name is Caitlin and I just recently joined the forum! I wanted to introduce myself and also ask for some thoughts and opinions on naming my new yearling red foot!!not the best photo but it gives you an idea!!
View attachment 199614
Awwwwww!!! Look at those rosy cheecks!!!! She is lovely!!!! I to have the RF and love them so much!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486920310.841598.jpg Shellie is the dark one with yellow head (Northern RF) just weighted her last nite 2lbs 5,3 oz and 7.5" SCL, and Tucke (Brazilian Cherryhead with white on his shell and red head) 1lb 12,8 oz and 6.5" SCL, they will be 2 yrs old at the end of May. I think we are lucky to have chosen this species. They are full of personality! Your is gorgeous! I am horrible with names, my then 10 yr old daughter named ours. More pictures of your little rosy/chiquita (oh, those cheeks!!!! Love them!!! And her/his enclosure please!:) and very warm welcome from Texas to both of you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't usually name my tortoises, but when I do (I get in rescues and every so often decide to keep one) I name it for where it came from. So I have a leopard tortoise named Cincinnati*, a yellowfooted named Guyana, and the leopard I bought from Ben Awes is named Benawes.

*A school teacher in Cincinnati found a leopard tortoise in a box in front of her classroom door when she went to work one morning. She looked on the 'net, found me, and on her summer vacation, she and her fiance DROVE from cincinnati to clovis, CA and brought me the tortoise. She's now my biggest egg producer.

caitlin5

Thank you thank you! Yours are quite beautiful too!!! I really do love this species and so friendly! I will upload more pics as soon as possible!! Thank you for the warm welcome and showing me your beauties! Any advice or opinions please throw them my way! I've had a redfoot prior but it has been about 10 years!!!! And btw does yours burrow any??

caitlin5

I don't usually name my tortoises, but when I do (I get in rescues and every so often decide to keep one) I name it for where it came from. So I have a leopard tortoise named Cincinnati*, a yellowfooted named Guyana, and the leopard I bought from Ben Awes is named Benawes.

*A school teacher in Cincinnati found a leopard tortoise in a box in front of her classroom door when she went to work one morning. She looked on the 'net, found me, and on her summer vacation, she and her fiance DROVE from cincinnati to clovis, CA and brought me the tortoise. She's now my biggest egg producer.

Wow that is amazing i would love to rescue a few tortoises! Do you have any suggestions on where I could get more information on rescues or where I could find a rescued tortoise and give it a new forever home? Or know if any that need a home?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Very creative! I love it! Do you think that anyone could help me determine if my yearling is a male or female that would really help with the name choosing!! I know at this age it's hard to tell but any advice on determining would be great!
Post some pictures of your tortoises tail and vent area. A couple different angles might allow someone to determine it's gender.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow that is amazing i would love to rescue a few tortoises! Do you have any suggestions on where I could get more information on rescues or where I could find a rescued tortoise and give it a new forever home? Or know if any that need a home?

Go to Google (or whatever search engine you prefer) and put in "turtle and tortoise rescue - [your city or state here]"

Tortoises usually have to be older than a year to determine which sex they are. It goes by size though, so if you have a big yearling it might be possible.

caitlin5

Post some pictures of your tortoises tail and vent area. A couple different angles might allow someone to determine it's gender.

I will upload some photos to see if anyone has any idea of gender if even possible!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you thank you! Yours are quite beautiful too!!! I really do love this species and so friendly! I will upload more pics as soon as possible!! Thank you for the warm welcome and showing me your beauties! Any advice or opinions please throw them my way! I've had a redfoot prior but it has been about 10 years!!!! And btw does yours burrow any??
Have you made your mind up as far as a name is concerned?

caitlin5

Have you made your mind up as far as a name is concerned?

I am going to upload some photos to see if anyone can give me their opinion on the gender, but if not I'm going to have definitely think about the name I definitely received good suggestions!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I am going to upload some photos to see if anyone can give me their opinion on the gender, but if not I'm going to have definitely think about the name I definitely received good suggestions!!

Please keep us updated.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Have you decided on a name yet? My sister and I collaborated and she decided Ronan if it's a boy, and I say Camille if it's a girl. :D S/he looks like a curious, quirky little torty!

caitlin5

Have you decided on a name yet? My sister and I collaborated and she decided Ronan if it's a boy, and I say Camille if it's a girl. :D S/he looks like a curious, quirky little torty!
Thank y'all so much for giving me suggestions!!! I will keep y'all posted!