iSweets

5 Year Member
Hi all!!! I'm Brandy and I was recently gifted my first tortoise. I named him Flash. He's a small Sulcata. By small I mean probably an 1 1/2" from top to bottom. Maybe 2. I can't find my tape measure. I have him in a square 20 gallon tank, with organic soil, a burrow for sleeping, a UVA/UVB light, and under tank pad on the side where his light is, so the other soil stays cools. I vary his diet as much as I can, since I've only had him for about 1 week. My concern is that he's not going potty. I soak him every 2-3 days, for at least 10 minutes, and he's never done anything in there. Should I be concerned? He's not acting like he's sick, very active guarding the perimeter of his tank. Maybe I'm being overly protective cause I'm new to this, but I'd rather ask and not need to than for anything to happen to him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483035165.099854.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483035184.622818.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483035201.407638.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Soak everyday for 30-40 minutes and then you should start getting regular bowl movements.

Your enclosure is much too small for a hatchling of that size - lack of space to move around in also seems to slow down movement in the digestive system.

If your temperatures are too cold, they can't digest food so that too can lead to no poop.