New member, new South African

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
I put a liner down under my bark and some coco coir so I can keep it a little damp so it doesn't rot the wood and that runs the humidity higher.

They sell humidifiers that will help if needed but I think if you get the substrate right you won't need it. I have a repti-fogger that I keep on a timer for one of my enclosures but it only kicks one twice a day.

You can also put some plants in there inside the pots and that will help too

Adding a liner may not be a bad idea. I initially avoided it because I was afraid he'd try to take a bite. But I doubt he will. What type of liner is best to use?

Thanks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Adding a liner may not be a bad idea. I initially avoided it because I was afraid he'd try to take a bite. But I doubt he will. What type of liner is best to use?

Thanks
Pond liner, shower curtain liner, tarp any of those will do the job. It will make it so you can dump some water on it periodically and don't have to worry about the wood. I also soak my bark in buckets of water for a few hours before I put it in my enclosures just something I do.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hey guys, I got the entire habitat right where it needs to be, according to the feedback. It's 80F all around and 95F right under the basking light. 60% -80% humidity at all times.

The end result is still the same. The tortoise sleeps/ is dormant for 23+ hours a day. I haven't seen him eat in a few days. I do leave a combo of kale and romain on his eating rock all day.

I don't get it. I'm very frustrated and heartbroken. I've had pets my whole life and have never had one like this.

He "looks" healthy. I've talked to two different vets on the phone and they also agree that he is probably healthy from my description. There is no puss, no running nose, no watery eyes. Just lazy and refusing to eat.

I soak him twice a day for 20+ min each time. He moves around while soaking, but that's it.

His habitat is big for him now, but I built it that way so he can grow into it. Can it be that it's too big? He does walk around in it, just not much. He will be on different spots throughout the day, then he parks it for 10+ hours.

I'm soaking him now and he's moved around in the bath more in 5 min than he has all day in his home. I even try feeding him in his bath, no dice. Should I be dicing this kale up into itty bitty pieces?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Is there any possibility that the room where you put the enclosure is so busy that frighten him so much?
He/she is new. Maybe afraid or still confuse.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your enclosure is very bare - add plants and other site barriers. If a tortoise can't see the entire enclosure at once, there is more reason to move around and investigate things. Hatchlings are prey and open spaces aren't safe for them - adding more cover may help him come out of his shell a bit more, so to speak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and besides what's been said, double check the temperature all over the floor of the enclosure. It he can't warm up to at least 80F degrees, he won't eat.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
. . . and besides what's been said, double check the temperature all over the floor of the enclosure. It he can't warm up to at least 80F degrees, he won't eat.

Everything has been checked and double checked. Temps are great and humidity is right at 80%.

He still won't eat. I soaked him today and he became active. I actually think he passed gas in the bath. Then I put him back in his home with some fresh romain and kale. He walked right over it with no interest.

I have yet to get and try this Mazori stuff.

I've had him for over a week now and he hasn't gained a gram. Still at 43g.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Here's a picture of my little guy a few days ago.
IMO taking your tort outside for a walk can only be stressful for it at this point. I'd just leave it alone in the enclosure, only take it out for a soak.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Your enclosure is looking great now and will look even better with plants to help humidity and give him somewhere to hide and feel safe. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants. If you use shop bought plants repot in chemical/fertiliser free soil and allow time for any sprays etc that may have been used on them to grow out. If you bury pots in substrate they are easy to swap over if they get eaten or flattened. Some people use artificial plants but you'd have to keep an eye out to make sure he isn't eating them.
It could just be that there have been so many changes for him lately he is a little stressed - they don't like change - so maybe just let him settle down.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Your enclosure is looking great now and will look even better with plants to help humidity and give him somewhere to hide and feel safe. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants. If you use shop bought plants repot in chemical/fertiliser free soil and allow time for any sprays etc that may have been used on them to grow out. If you bury pots in substrate they are easy to swap over if they get eaten or flattened. Some people use artificial plants but you'd have to keep an eye out to make sure he isn't eating them.
It could just be that there have been so many changes for him lately he is a little stressed - they don't like change - so maybe just let him settle down.

Thanks for your help. I will look at plants. I doubt they will survive a day. It's so humid in his habitat that his food shrivels up each day so not sure a plant would survive.

One bit of sad news. I weighed him just now and he's only 41 grams which is 2 less than yesterday. I soaked him and he was usual. Moved around in the soak.

One thing to note he does move around his home throughout the day. Just doesn't eat.

I'm calling the vet in the morning.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Spider plants are popular and safe.
Has he had a poop or a big wee? That could make his weight fluctuate.
What are you feeding him at the moment maybe there's something he may like better - my leopard can be very fickle with his food.
He loves radicchio (a red lettuce with white veins in it) and frisee. The bags of Florette Crispy Salad have a nice mix of leaves in them including both those. I soak all food well before feeding to rehydrate it.
I wouldn't handle him too much at the moment.

Last edited:

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Spider plants are popular and safe.
Has he had a poop or a big wee? That could make his weight fluctuate.
What are you feeding him at the moment maybe there's something he may like better - my leopard can be very fickle with his food.
He loves radicchio (a red lettuce with white veins in it) and frisee. The bags of Florette Crispy Salad have a nice mix of leaves in them including both those. I soak all food well before feeding to rehydrate it.
I wouldn't handle him too much at the moment.

I feed him a mix of romain and kale/baby kale. All organic. A few times I've thrown in some grass from the backyard. In the 10 days I've had him now, he's only made a poo once. And a tiny one at that.

The misses did say she saw him possiblity make a pee yesterday on his basking rock. So maybe that was it.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & Welcome !
Aside from adding plants like Sarah mentioned, sometimes tortoises need some time to adjust. Some tortoises need more time than others. My female russian took about 2 days until she was up and about. My male russian took about 2 weeks to adjust and start coming out.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I want to thank everybody for the responses. Even if I haven't replied to each, I've read them all and they've all been helpful.

Some updates: I have added legs to his habitat and it's raised off the floor 24". Temps are still spot on, all four. Humidity is around 70-80% with the help of humidifier.

I've added some organic romain live plants to his enclosure today and a second hide (he never uses either).

Good news:
He is much more lively and is always on the go. I think covering the habitat and the humidity are to credit.

I've taken him to the back yard two days in a row and he absolutely loves it. Runs around having fun (not looking for immediate cover). He ultimately comes back to my chair where I placed him down. if you can believe that.

Bad news:
However, he still hasn't eaten a thing. I put fresh food in their daily and even added mazuri. He basically ignores all food. Even out in the grass. Won't eat.

Also, he seems to be "scratching" his eyes a lot. I look and there's no discharge anywhere. But every so often he rubs each side with one arm as if he's itching it.

Please advise. I haven't taken him to the vet yet because I talked myself out of it after reading one of Tom's posts.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Here is a clip of him in the back yard today. Does he look healthy? Seems OK to my untrained eye.