New member looking for advice

Antigone

Hi, I have had my tortoise for 19 years now and have always looked after her in the same way, outside in the summer, inside in the winter in a temperature controlled environment. I am now concerned that the way I was told to look after her when I originally got her may not be the best way. Her behaviour this winter has changed also as she has put herself into hibernation despite never having done this before for so long. Any advice welcomed, thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. What kind of tortoise do you have?
Also, that many years ago most everyone got wrong advice. For that time though, not as much was known.

Antigone

She is a Spur thigh, that is what I was told on purchase although she doesn't have any spurs and the vet has queried it.

Antigone

I will post one once I am home. She is in a tank with a heat lamp and UV light. With wood chip and hay (indoors) during the summer she has an outside house in a movable enclosed area so that we can move it around the garden.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi! A very warm welcome to TFO.
Could you also post a photo of her plastron, as in this example:
File Jan 24, 11 22 57 AM.jpeg
Is she hibernating now? Further info about the temperatures inside the enclosure and diet would help our more experienced members to point you in the right direction.

Antigone

Hi! A very warm welcome to TFO.
Could you also post a photo of her plastron, as in this example:
View attachment 197836
Is she hibernating now? Further info about the temperatures inside the enclosure and diet would help our more experienced members to point you in the right direction.
Hi, here is the picture you asked for. The damage on her Plastron occurred 17 years ago, she was attacked by a dog.
At the moment she is coming out each day again, since i woke her up to check on her, as she did before which is good, she seems to be returning to her usual habits, although still not eating very much.
Her diet consists of spring greens, dandelion, curly kale, mange tout, bean sprouts, lettuce, spinach, carrot..... she refuses to eat cabbage.
During the day the temperature in the enclosure ranges between 20 and 28 degrees and at night it goes down to around 15 degrees.

Thanks for your helpIMG_20170124_102248[1].jpg

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi, here is the picture you asked for. The damage on her Plastron occurred 17 years ago, she was attacked by a dog.
At the moment she is coming out each day again, since i woke her up to check on her, as she did before which is good, she seems to be returning to her usual habits, although still not eating very much.
Her diet consists of spring greens, dandelion, curly kale, mange tout, bean sprouts, lettuce, spinach, carrot..... she refuses to eat cabbage.
During the day the temperature in the enclosure ranges between 20 and 28 degrees and at night it goes down to around 15 degrees.
Thanks for your help! View attachment 197837
Thank you, Antigone!
Have you seen the Greek tortoise care sheet yet? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....raeca)-Care-Sheet-Overview.87146/#post-812416

There's also an updated version of the Hermann tortoise care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....TOISE-CARE-SHEET-*UPDATED.101410/#post-945921 The care points are identical for the Greeks.

A few quick observations:
1. She looks a bit dry. It's good to have a water dish submerged into the substrate so that she can get in and out of it to drink. She needs to be able to fit into it.

2. Longer soaks of 20-30 mins about 3 times a week (some members do more) would help keep her hydrated.

3. 20C may be just a little low. 28 is good.

4. Her beak looks overgrown. I know some members trim it but I have no personal experience with this. Placing her food on a flat rock seems to help.

Hope at least some of this will be of some use.

Those care sheets are excellent.

Antigone

Thank you, Antigone!
Have you seen the Greek tortoise care sheet yet? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Greek-Tortoise-(Testudo-graeca)-Care-Sheet-Overview.87146/#post-812416

There's also an updated version of the Hermann tortoise care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sticky:-HERMANN'S-TORTOISE-CARE-SHEET-*UPDATED.101410/#post-945921 The care points are identical for the Greeks.

A few quick observations:
1. She looks a bit dry. It's good to have a water dish submerged into the substrate so that she can get in and out of it to drink. She needs to be able to fit into it.

2. Longer soaks of 20-30 mins about 3 times a week (some members do more) would help keep her hydrated.

3. 20C may be just a little low. 28 is good.

4. Her beak looks overgrown. I know some members trim it but I have no personal experience with this. Placing her food on a flat rock seems to help.

Hope at least some of this will be of some use.

Those care sheets are excellent.
THank you for your reply, I will read through those links.
Her beak is overgrown, her food is on a flat rock so hopefully this will help but I have made an appointment with a vet to look at it as I have no experience of trimming it either as it has not happened before.
I will soak her for longer more often as well.
Thank you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings Antigone, you might also consider swapping out your current substrate with cocoa coir, orchid bark mix or cypress mulch. These types of substrates will hold moisture better and be better overall for your tort. Then, id add in some live plants and other distractions. A few small rocks here and there, etc.

I agree with others as well to give your guy some daily, longer soaks. Make sure your lights are on timers and on long enough.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Antigone

I just wanted to thank each of you for the help and advice with my tortoise. To update you, as I was still worried about her I took her to the Vets where they found her back knee joints had a nasty infection, so after 3 weeks of antibiotics she is now better and back to her usual self.