New member and so happy to have found other tortoise parents

Lorielei2001

Location (City and/or State)
Miami FL
I am a new tortoise owner. My African sulcata was my daughters dads tort, Tugie is his name.
He is about 5 years old. Anyway, when tugies dad went on holiday I agreed to have him stay with me so I would care for him while he was on holiday. Have nice fenced yard very tropical with small waterfall and lots of grass. Well I fell I love with Tugie and when Tugie went home I missed him so much I asked him if we could share custody of Tugie and he agreed Tugie was much happier with my yard. I live in Miami so Tugie is out all day in yard. My question is he needs some sort of shelter to stay out of rain. We got a huge pot and turned on its side but not sure if he using it.

He has plenty of shaded area as well. Should we get him a children's outdoor play house for shelter?

Here is a pic of Tugie

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hello and welcome!
Tugie is a handsome boy!! Looks like he has a great home in your back garden :) it is always nice to have some hides where he can get shaded from the rain, heat and also get sometime hiding away from everything and a children's outdoor playhouse is a great idea for a sulcata. Particularly because they grow so big.
There are sulcata care sheets you should check out if you haven't done so already :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.

yes It's very nice to find other like-minded people are not feel so alone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Unless your going to bring him in on those few occasions you get cold, you will need to provide a heat night box. The heat would be used only when needed. Do a search for Toms night box thread. Something like that but left above ground if you want would work.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A cute :<3: tortoise! GOD bless.

Please read the "Beginners' Thread" and the different care sheets. These will certainly help you take care of your tort. And don't hesitate to ask any question.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Awww! He is such a handsome fella, I love his coloring! If you do a search you will find all sorts of great threads on heated boxes for when it gets cool. He sure looks like a happy fella! Welcome to the forum!!