New Leopard tortoise owner 2015!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Usually the basking lamp heat is enough to provide heat for the outlying areas. If you use a temperature gun to measure temperatures around the enclosure, you will know how you are doing. They're inexpensive from hardware stores and Amazon.

I thought it was but knew it sounded stupid asking the question, i have a temp gun and all appears ok just need to get them to eat more and the humidity up a little but I've just got some orchid bark. thanks for the help, how long have you kept tortoises for?

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I inherited Joe with my now husband 30 years ago. They came as a pair :) He has had Joe since 1970

Wow bet the tortoise is massive now! when call you tell the sex of the leopards as i presume they have to be a little older, is your very active? i love tortoises always want more but will need a bigger house and garage before long!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow bet the tortoise is massive now! when call you tell the sex of the leopards as i presume they have to be a little older, is your very active? i love tortoises always want more but will need a bigger house and garage before long!
He hasn't grown for many years. He's at his max of 10.5" which is big for a Greek male.

Gender tends to become obvious by size. Not sure in the size for Leopards. Some males display their manhood quite young leaving you in no doubt whatsoever; once seen never forgotten!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
He hasn't grown for many years. He's at his max of 10.5" which is big for a Greek male.

Gender tends to become obvious by size. Not sure in the size for Leopards. Some males display their manhood quite young leaving you in no doubt whatsoever; once seen never forgotten!

I know my hermanns male is a lot smaller than the female and doesn't leave her alone in the garden, but there very happy and active, I've only had the leopards two weeks so maybe still shy and curious as to there new home so maybe thats why they want to hide till they become safe and used to being in the new home.
Wow thats a big tortoise, bet he weighs a fair amount.