New Leopard tortoise owner 2015!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
i will try to add my hermanns now, am trying to mix it up but am using Kale, spinach, cucumber (not loads just a small slice) rocket, dandelions and the leaves but please inform me if this isn't suitable? he has this with a sprinkle of calcium dust and have a culture fish to munch when needed. do you leave yours out during the summer?
View attachment 137312 View attachment 137313 View attachment 137314
I only use cucumber if Lola is constipated or as an occasional treat but it doesn't have much nutritional value. Not sure about the spinach/rocket so check those on the tortoise table. Dandelion greens are good - maybe need to be chopped up a bit for babies. At this time of year non toxic weeds and grasses are most natural diet for them. Clover is also something they like.
Don't overdo the calcium - a few times a week is ok if they have cuttle bone available - best to remove the hard part on back and any sharp bits.
Lola is brought in every night as my garden isn't secure enough and I don't have a heated night box for him so he comes in to his che.
make sure your water dish sides aren't too steep for them to get out of or they could fall back and drown. I use shallow terracota plant saucers about £1.20 at B&Q etc.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
yes sorry didn't realise it autocorrected me on the spelling sorry, will this be ok then for the leopards as well as sprinkling there food with calcium?

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I only use cucumber if Lola is constipated or as an occasional treat but it doesn't have much nutritional value. Not sure about the spinach/rocket so check those on the tortoise table. Dandelion greens are good - maybe need to be chopped up a bit for babies. At this time of year non toxic weeds and grasses are most natural diet for them. Clover is also something they like.
Don't overdo the calcium - a few times a week is ok if they have cuttle bone available - best to remove the hard part on back and any sharp bits.
Lola is brought in every night as my garden isn't secure enough and I don't have a heated night box for him so he comes in to his che.
make sure your water dish sides aren't too steep for them to get out of or they could fall back and drown. I use shallow terracota plant saucers about £1.20 at B&Q etc.

Thank you your being a great help and have better knowledge so ill remove the water dish and get a shallow one, so will the soil and herbifloor tortoise grass be ok for when they come in? I will remove the spinach/rocket asap and check the tortoise table now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
yes sorry didn't realise it autocorrected me on the spelling sorry, will this be ok then for the leopards as well as sprinkling there food with calcium?
Perfect with any species of tort though not all will use it. They can be fussy little wotsits.

As soon as I posted the penny dropped and I realised that you had probably been hit by the predictive text curse; ; it's a pain! :D

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Perfect with any species of tort though not all will use it. They can be fussy little wotsits.

As soon as I posted the penny dropped and I realised that you had probably been hit by the predictive text curse; ; it's a pain! :D

Haha thanks i know was like i don't feed them fish or meat was like oh autocorrected! i have heard of these for food for the winter months but would anyone recommend them
Mazuri Tortoise food?
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
in the vivarium the dry end is topsoil and the pellets are called herbifloor tortoise grass will this be ok, and this is by the water dish, the eating part is on slate for the nails.
I have never heard of that but I know that pellets are not recommended.
To be honest forget what the pet shop told you as they are only in it for profit and get all your up to date info here or at least double check what you have been told here.
Make sure the topsoil does not have any fertilizer or other chemicals in it - Homebase do a sterilised top soil which was recommended to me. Put food on a slate or shallow dish.
You need to keep the soil moist, some spray it with water but a lot of the moisture is lost before it hits the surface, some dig a hole and pour water in then hand mix it up - moist not wet and get your temps right first.
Humidity + cold = sick torts
Humidity + heat = healthy torts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Haha thanks i know was like i don't feed them fish or meat was like oh autocorrected! i have heard of these for food for the winter months but would anyone recommend them
Mazuri Tortoise food?
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food?
I don't think we can get Mazuri in the UK don't know about the other.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you your being a great help and have better knowledge so ill remove the water dish and get a shallow one, so will the soil and herbifloor tortoise grass be ok for when they come in? I will remove the spinach/rocket asap and check the tortoise table now.
I knew nothing a year ago - had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I was adopted by Lola but thanks to this website I have learnt many do's and don'ts through reading and asking questions. There's always something new to learn, and this is the best place to learn it.

Your spinach and rocket may be ok in moderation but see what TTT says first.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mazuri is like crack cocaine, completely addictive. It's a brilliant food, but you will have to be a tough Dad to feed greens once they're back in season. You have to stand firm, a hungry tort will eat, and keep offering only greens until the little dears give in.

Mazuri is probably the processed food of choice on TFO. It's a shame we can't get it here in the UK.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Tom is good on setup. Orchid bark or coco coir are usually recommended for substrate in here as they help raise the humidity

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I have never heard of that but I know that pellets are not recommended.
To be honest forget what the pet shop told you as they are only in it for profit and get all your up to date info here or at least double check what you have been told here.
Make sure the topsoil does not have any fertilizer or other chemicals in it - Homebase do a sterilised top soil which was recommended to me. Put food on a slate or shallow dish.
You need to keep the soil moist, some spray it with water but a lot of the moisture is lost before it hits the surface, some dig a hole and pour water in then hand mix it up - moist not wet and get your temps right first.
Humidity + cold = sick torts
Humidity + heat = healthy torts.

Ok i will try that with the soil i presume you have to perform it everyday then speaking with water? i think my lamps are correct as there 32c and and cooler part is 28c and basking area is good as well. i will change the pellets and get more soil in the morning now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They are big for 6 months. I have a trio of yearnings about the a size. They look smooth and nice. To keep them smooth, you will need to keep the humidity up. I use closed chamber enclosure and coco Coir substrate that I keep moist enough to maintain 80% humidity. I supplement with both Mazuri and grassland tortoise food in the winter months.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
@Tom is good on setup. Orchid bark or coco coir are usually recommended for substrate in here as they help raise the humidity
ok i will change the layout of the bedding to the orchid bark, do i have to make this moist or will be ok as it comes?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok i will try that with the soil i presume you have to perform it everyday then speaking with water? i think my lamps are correct as there 32c and and cooler part is 28c and basking area is good as well. i will change the pellets and get more soil in the morning now.
Coco coir on the topsoil is probably better than more of the same as it holds moisture better to maintain humidity. You can buy blocks of it at pets at home or the Range which you soak to expand.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Coco coir on the topsoil is probably better than more of the same as it holds moisture better to maintain humidity. You can buy blocks of it at pets at home or the Range which you soak to expand.

Ok so i remove the grass pellets asap and use just the soil and coco coir or can i use the orchid bark on top as well? as i just google the coco coir and unsure of it so ill try and add the attachment so am sure its correct.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have a picture of your set up? At that size, you are not going to get any benefit by keeping them in an enclosed set up or keeping the humidity constantly high. But make sure they always have fresh water and are kept well hydrated.

32 is a bit too low for a high in my opinion. Your low is ok, though they can tolerate lower temperatures at night time. I would try to provide a doit that gets closer to 37 during the daytime hours.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Do you have a picture of your set up? At that size, you are not going to get any benefit by keeping them in an enclosed set up or keeping the humidity constantly high. But make sure they always have fresh water and are kept well hydrated.

32 is a bit too low for a high in my opinion. Your low is ok, though they can tolerate lower temperatures at night time. I would try to provide a doit that gets closer to 37 during the daytime hours.

I meant my ambient temperature is 32-28 and the basking spot is 36 i have a temp gauge under the actually basking spot. i added the picture of the setup before, and what do you mean by no benefit please?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Apparently They are only 6 months old Neal, I think the picture must make them look bigger than they are. I think I can see one tucked under the flower pot and it looks much smaller there,

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Apparently They are only 6 months old Neal, I think the picture must make them look bigger than they are. I think I can see one tucked under the flower pot and it looks much smaller there,

I will take a new picture now for you to see the size.