New Indian Stars - Southern Race

pete55

Hi All

We've just bought 2 pairs of sub-adult Indian Stars. They were sold as true 'Dwarf' Indian Stars with their parentage originating from high altitude plateau in the Bangalore region of India.

They've been settled into a naturalistic planted quarantine pen in a warm room with a UVB basking light and with tussocks and log hide. The turf was purchased as a meadow grass on loam. They're still quite shy and use the grass clumps to hide between. We're hoping the pen with hiding areas will help to reduce stress in this settling in phase. So far the females are bolder and eating the grass and some dandelions. We hope to introduce more variety in the diet over the coming weeks with the inclusion of Opuntia.

The males have well developed sex characteristics despite their small size of 4 inches. The females are approx' 5 inch SCL. We were informed that theyre about 8 years old. Emptied the wallet to get them but wanted to get both pairs. They came from a very knowledgeable and reliable source. While there we were able to see their large collection of northern race Stars. All in superb condition and breeding well.

Now settled in, weighed, measured and bathed. Here's the first pictures to share. We're over the moon with them.
IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1641.JPG

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
This is awesome.. Mine are less than a year. Your pics give me an approximate idea on how my torts will look in the coming years.

Thanks for sharing.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
And I really like the way you've put up their living area. It is just like the natural habitat. Good job.

pete55

Thanks for the kind comments. I think the naturalistic pen has helped them to settle and they graze some of the grass.

Next step is to develop an outdoor pen for the summer but have to watch the varying weather of a British summer!
IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1637.JPG