New Horsfield Owner ☺

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO :)

I recommend you start by reading the TFO care guides. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

If you would like us to check over your setup please photos of both the enclosure and lighting :)

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
Thankyou guys! Brilliant reads Joesmum, I'm off out shopping again I'll post some more pictures when I get back!

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
Right, so she's had a bath, been weighed and measured and has now taken herself off to sit under her lamp! Here are the pictures of her home which seems to look a little barren and her not enjoying her bath! ☺ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493313556.016624.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493313570.744118.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493313586.322646.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493313598.908251.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is there a basking lamp? I can only see a CHE. That's great for keeping ambient temperatures right (used with a thermostat) but not for basking.

The substrate needs to be at least 3" (10cm) deep and mixed with water so it is all evenly damp. This raises the humidity so your tort can grow healthily and also provides something for your tort to dig into.

You can add edible plants to the enclosure. Leave them in their pots and sink the pots into the substrate; they grow better that way.

Those reptile water bowls are a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate and surrounded by pebbles to stop substrate being dragged in makes a much safer water dish.

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
There is a basking lamp too, the substrate is is about two inches right now but I'll go and get some more!!
I have sunk this water bowl into the substrate, is it still not good? I can easily change it...
Thankyou for your help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A terracotta plant saucer has sides that are less steep and safer for the little ones.

Do you have a temperature gun type thermometer like this?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493321967.946419.jpg

It's best for measuring spot temperatures in an enclosure.

Greta16

Western Maine
Congratulations on the new tort. Does your substrate have bits in it to encourage it to eat it, like calcium? If so the experts on here would recommend you change it to coco coir or a combo.

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
It doesn't say that it does I hope not! It just says it's a dirt and sand mix. Another question, she spent the night in her water dish last night... is this okay? Or a sign that she's too hot?

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
Last night was her first night! But I will watch what she does throughout today and tonight... what would you recommend having my thermostat set to?

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
Is that Fahrenheit? So 25 Celsius? Thankyou ☺ it's a little warmer than that in there right now so I'll turn it down a bit and see if that helps!

JaymeFrances

Oxford, UK
Brilliant that's exactly how they are now ☺ thankyou so much... I feel like a complete idiot