1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New Hide

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by orv, Sep 12, 2017.

1. orv

orv Member

This afternoon I was working in the yard, and I thought I'd rake out our California Desert Tortoises hide. In doing so I moderately changed the entrance hole with the desire of keeping out potential future flooding. We've had some real gully-washers here in our high desert this summer and a fair amount of flooding has occurred, bringing dirt into the hide. What I found interesting is that one of our darlings immediately eschewed the existing hide and began digging a new one. Ha! I thought that I was being helpful, but I guess not so much. After digging for about half an hour, I fed the spoiled brat and placed him back in the old borough for the night. I wonder if the digging will continue again in the morning? This has been typical in the early Spring, but now, as we approach Fall?. How has your experience been?
    RosemaryDW likes this.
  2. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    My guys also hate it when I clean their place. Once I had to put dirt and some poop back in to make them stay there. That worked very well!
  3. orv

orv Member

I'll have to remember that about the poop saving. I've normally disposed of it. Today, all seems to have returned to normal. Up early, sun on the mound in front of hide, breakfast and then a nap. Up this afternoon for a soak followed by a walk, dinner and early to bed. Ohhh . . . was that my day or the tortoises? Hard to tell.
  4. Carol S

Carol S Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

My Desert Tortoises are going to be real mad at me in next month or so as I cover up their burrows, and they have to go into their hibernation house. I cover up their burrows with plywood.