New Hermann's Tortoise

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
BC, Canada
Hello everyone,
I joined the forum about five years ago when I got my first tortoise, a Russian named Tortington, or Torty for short. Torty just turned five in March and is doing really well. I had always planned on getting a second tortoise because in my opinion they are the best pets. In Canada tortoises are a bit harder to come by but last week I came across an ad on craigslist for a 2 year old Hermann's tortoise. I picked her up yesterday and am so glad that I did. Her previous owner said she is female, and from what I understand she spent the majority of her life freely roaming the apartment. I've got her set up now in a large rubbermaid tub until I decide on a long term enclosure. She seems quite happy, and burrowed into the substrate in her hide last night and is now exploring and eating. I know at around 2 years old it's probably too young to tell the sex, but I'll attach some pics, also I am guessing that she is an eastern Hermann's? I look forward to learning more about Hermann's tortoises here on the forum.

Denby

Attachments

• 145.JPG
    145.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 143.JPG
    143.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 141.JPG
    141.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
I meant to ask, any ideas on whether she is a female? Or still too early to tell? And is she an eastern Hermanns?
Thanks so much

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Yep, definitely an eastern Hermann's. You're very unlikely to find somebody selling western Hermann's without knowing what they have! Very pretty tortoise, you probably won't have a good idea of the sex until (s)he reaches 300-400g.

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
Thanks for the replies enzot91 and jimb, I thought it was probably too early to tell the sex. I'll have to think of a name that could work either way, so far I've been calling her/him Lil' Tort and I feel like that's going to stick as a name.
jimb, Mudflap is beautiful, I've enjoyed seeing all of his pictures/adventures as I've been browsing through old posts. I could not be happier to have a Hermanns, I am already seeing the differences between Lil' Tort and Torty my Russian.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Thanks for the replies enzot91 and jimb, I thought it was probably too early to tell the sex. I'll have to think of a name that could work either way, so far I've been calling her/him Lil' Tort and I feel like that's going to stick as a name.
jimb, Mudflap is beautiful, I've enjoyed seeing all of his pictures/adventures as I've been browsing through old posts. I could not be happier to have a Hermanns, I am already seeing the differences between Lil' Tort and Torty my Russian.

Thanks! I always name my reps with male names then refuse to change it when I discover they're females. LOL!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Your tort is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D
I think the gender-specific names aren't a big deal, and can trigger fun conversations! I named my little mud turtle Jacques, after Jacques Cousteau, knowing that he was too little to determine gender. After 2 years it became apparent that Jacques is a girl. :p I tried out a few female names, but was just too used to Jacques, so she remains Jacques!!! I'm pretty sure she doesn't care! :p
A forum member from Wales has a male leopard tortoise named Lola, and a forum member in Florida has a female red foot named Julio!!!!:D