New here!

TammyRH

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tammy, obviously new here. I had an aquatic turtle for the last several years, but let his turtle-sitter (an 8 year-old who ADORES him) adopt him when I moved from Washington to Illinois. I'm now reading all I can about tortoises before getting one. I have a somewhat small house, so I want to make sure I have enough room for the right enclosure. I have lots of questions, this site looks incredible.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Tammy :)

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Welcome...you've come to the right place; and you are doing it right. Get the information and education before getting the tortoise. The members here can help you choose the best species for your environment. As well as care sheets; diet and care; they also have excellent resources for finding a reptile vet in your area. Good sources to find animals that need adoption; as well as breeders who have healthy animals for sale. Have questions....never hesitate to ask.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! Like Eric said, you've come to the right place...you'll find anything, everything and anyone you need to know regarding just about any tortoise you're interested in and these folks love their animals and have been a God send to us when we got our first family tortoise. Good luck!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas! Coming here PRIOR to getting your tortoise is a very smart thing. Size/space available is one thing to consider, another one is the climatic requirements of different species vs how much time/money/work you are willing/able to put into meeting those requirements in order to keep your tortoise healthy. I would go to each and every section of the forum and check out all of the species, their looks, descriptions, read their care sheets. After that bit of a homework you should be able to narrow your search down to couple. Then start a thread asking people who keep those torts for their experience, their challenges. I have gone with the Redfooted, got mine before discovering this forum. I think that if I had access to this forum at the time, I might have considered the testudo species. Take your time and best of luck!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tammy, obviously new here. I had an aquatic turtle for the last several years, but let his turtle-sitter (an 8 year-old who ADORES him) adopt him when I moved from Washington to Illinois. I'm now reading all I can about tortoises before getting one. I have a somewhat small house, so I want to make sure I have enough room for the right enclosure. I have lots of questions, this site looks incredible.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Tammy :)
Welcome from another Tammy!!!