1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BradKitty, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Hello, my name is Cat. I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and the Tuttle's! This is Timmy & Trudy. I got them when they were one week old. (1st pic) They are 3.5 months old now. (2nd pic) As you maybe able to tell "she" has grown quite a bit more than "he" has. And I may need to rename them when I find out what sex they are, lol. But here is what I've been doing so far. First got a tortoise house and set it up. I think I need to change the substrate soon. She isn't in the mood to hibernate and he is. So she eats all the time and he eats only when I bring him out a set him near the food every few days. It isn't cold enough in their room for full hibernation, but God bless his little heart he is trying. They get a variety of fresh weeds and leaves I don't buy produce for them, except cactus pears when in the store. I'd welcome any advice for keeping them happy and healthy!
    Here are their weights and measurements as of today. Didn't use a flat measure tape I use a fabric one.
    Timmy 1.5 oz. L 2 5/8" W 2.5"
    Trudy 3.0 oz. L 3.5" W 3.0"

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483421451.881754.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483421698.041268.jpg
    Big Ol Tortoise likes this.
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi Cat
    Dogs and cats do great in pairs , but torts do better in trios . In pairs you have bulling it starts in with looks , then stairs , then controls water or food dishs . That's why one is larger then the other .
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483426021.627966.jpg
    bouaboua likes this.
  3. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Thank you. I did not know about that, sibling rivalry can be harsh. So I need one more darn. Should I get one about the same age?
  4. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Any new tortoise should be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to ensure it doesn't make yours sick and vice versa.

Tortoises are solitary creatures. Living communally doesn't come naturally to them. They don't share nicely. Another tortoise is simply a rival for food and space. Bullying, both mental and physical, are common regardless of gender.

Groups of three or more, of similar size and with only 1 male, MAY be successful in a very large enclosure (4'x8' PER TORT) with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

I recommend splitting the two you have and keeping them entirely separately. You cannot guarantee the genders of the 2 you have yet and won't be able to for a few years. Only get a third tortoise if you have room to keep all 3 completely separately.

What species are your torts?

With torts so young, a closed chamber is necessary to keep the temperatures and humidity high enough for healthy growth.

Have you read the TFO care sheets? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of Baby Testudo
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
    bouaboua likes this.
  5. SarahChelonoidis

SarahChelonoidis Well-Known Member

We don't have desert tortoises in my country, so I have no species specific advice to offer beyond suggesting that it may be easier to provide separate habitats for your two instead of adding a third. Trios seem to work much better than two, but it's not a guarantee. And with quarantine concerns, unless you can get a hatchling from the same source as these two (and it hasn't come into contact with any new tortoises in that time), you will need another enclosure anyway. Two separate tortoises work just fine.
  6. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Thank you! I'll get one set up as soon as I can.

Cat
  7. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

I was told they are CDT. I've read very care sheet I could, the ones on TFO sounded the most reasonable and sound. I'll get a separate box for him asap.
    JoesMum likes this.
  8. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome,
    There is a lot to learn but this really is the best place for lots of up to date information from very experienced keepers all over the world.
    Many people think torts need a friend so you are not alone, a second enclosure will be much better for them and then they should both thrive. This may help http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
    If you post pics of your enclosures members can advise on any thing you can change if needed to make them happier and safer homes.
  9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Cat, and welcome to the Forum!

"Sibling Rivalry" might be one reason why the one tortoise stays hidden all the time. The larger, more aggressive tortoise is telling him to get out of my territory. But the poor guy is all closed in and is unable to get away. I think you'll see a big difference in his behaviour once you give him his own space.
    bouaboua likes this.
  10. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Here are some more pics, are they CDT? Also I have a ZooMed Tortoise House. I'll get another. Thanks for all this great information.
    Yvonne we are almost neighbors or at least in the same weather patterns. :)

Attached Files:

Momof4 and Lyn W like this.
  11. Momof4

Momof4 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Welcome Cat!!
    You came to the place to help you raise happy and thriving torts!!
    CDT are awesome!!
    I took a pic of mine this morning, she's a yearling.
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483461888.633839.jpg
  12. BILBO-03

BILBO-03 Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!:)
  13. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Your little one is so cute!!! This is my first time having baby torts. I had a 25 year old years ago and he was awesome but I had to adopt him out several years ago. Thanks for the welcome :)
    Big Ol Tortoise likes this.
  14. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Hello, Cat, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Timmy and Trudy.:)
  15. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Aww thanks!
    Tidgy's Dad likes this.
  16. tortoishell

tortoishell Active Member

Welcome to the forum! Your tortoises are very lucky to have you as an owner, but do watch out for "sibling rivalry". Keep up the good work! :tort:
  17. BradKitty

BradKitty New Member

Thank you. Looking forward to the adventure!