New Here...Please Help Me Identify My Box Turtle!

Alynn824

Hello All,
Last week my dog found a box turtle and drug it up into our garage. It didn't look very healthy (shell) and it only has 3 legs. I've been conflicted about releasing it, as everything I've read says they are very attached to their home ranges, and you should always release them back to where they came from. Problem is, since my dog drug it up, I have no idea where she found it. Anyways, Its been inside for the past week and we've been feeding it and dusting its food with calcium to get it healthy. It has been eating very well, (we've been feeding it a dried herbivore mix of veggies, insects, worms). My husband built an outdoor enclosure for it in our backyard so it can live as normal as possible. It's a 10 ft X 6 ft enclosure. He seems to have adjusted to us fairly quickly and isn't shy. I'm going to plant some strawberries, collard greens, ferns, and hostas?. I've been doing a lot of research on them, but I'm having trouble identifying if it is a Carolina or ornate. We live in southeast Texas, so both are common in our region. I'm afraid that due to his/her handicap (3 legs) and the condition of his shell, that he might not thrive in the wild? Anyways, If I post some pics could anyone possibly help identify it? I want to give it the best life possible!
Thanks

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
Hello All,
Last week my dog found a box turtle and drug it up into our garage. It didn't look very healthy (shell) and it only has 3 legs. I've been conflicted about releasing it, as everything I've read says they are very attached to their home ranges, and you should always release them back to where they came from. Problem is, since my dog drug it up, I have no idea where she found it. Anyways, Its been inside for the past week and we've been feeding it and dusting its food with calcium to get it healthy. It has been eating very well, (we've been feeding it a dried herbivore mix of veggies, insects, worms). My husband built an outdoor enclosure for it in our backyard so it can live as normal as possible. It's a 10 ft X 6 ft enclosure. He seems to have adjusted to us fairly quickly and isn't shy. I'm going to plant some strawberries, collard greens, ferns, and hostas?. I've been doing a lot of research on them, but I'm having trouble identifying if it is a Carolina or ornate. We live in southeast Texas, so both are common in our region. I'm afraid that due to his/her handicap (3 legs) and the condition of his shell, that he might not thrive in the wild? Anyways, If I post some pics could anyone possibly help identify it? I want to give it the best life possible!
Thanks
Go ahead and post some photos.

Alynn824

I'll try to get some this evening of him out of his shell, this is when we first found it.

IMG_9463.jpeg IMG_8359.jpeg IMG_8359.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not an eastern. It looks like a colorful three toe (Terrapene carolina triunguis), and not quite full grown yet.

The eastern box turtles have what looks like a backwards 'E' pattern, while the ornata has the starburst pattern. Some 3 toes also have the starburst pattern as shown in these pictures, along with the gulf coast and westerns.

Alynn824

We're not sure why it only has 3 legs. It doesn't look like there's any scarring so I don't know if it's possible that it was born that way. Genetic defect maybe?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No scarring indicates an old long healed injury. If he can walk and hunt, he can survive in the wild. He's done it so far. This is a hard call, about whether to keep or release. You'd have to keep him safe from your dog.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
If possible it would be best to release it. Do you know where your dog may have picked it up? Box turtles are becoming more and more uncommon in their home range. I'd love to see more photos of it with the shell cleaned up and the head and limbs visible.

Alynn824

Here are some more pics of it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 23

Alynn824

oh and weird thing is...He seems more comfortable inside. As soon as we bring him outside he completely closes up, and we put him in his outdoor habitat yesterday. He stays pretty much closed up, doesn't venture out much outside, but as soon as we bring him inside he's all out and about. His shell looks like he's had a rough life along with his 3 legs, makes me sad he's had a hard life :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 17

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
His nose is damaged. There seems to be a hole instead of two nostrils (nares).

He's hiding outdoors because he doesn't feel safe, too exposed.

Alynn824

So is there anythign that can be done about his nose? We have 2 wooden houses in his pen for coverage and protection that we put him under. I just figured with him being wild, he'd prefer it outdoors. This poor turtle...seems to have some problems, nose, shell, 3 legs. But he's eating well and seems to be doing okay.