New here from Denver Colorado

RobynO

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi everyone! I love reading all the enthusiastic love for tortoises! We are currently researching which species to adopt into our family, any information you all can share with me would be greatly appreciated! A little bit about us, we are a family of 4, my husband, myself and our 2 boys, 11 and soon to be 9. Our 8yr old wants a pet tortoise and has been doing diligent research on it so I know he's serious. However with that being said I know I need to know everything possible to make the best decision on what kind would be best suited to our climate and can tolerate my son ogling it constantly. We have read some don't tend to enjoy handling which is fine, we have a nice backyard and can allow the tort out with supervision of course, my son is willing to give up a lot of his room for the tort as well because we want to have the best environment for our new addition. We would love a tort species with a ton of personality but have also read that it can vary from tort to tort on that but that the Hemanns are characters along with the Russians. Can't wait to read what you all have to say!!

Thanks!!
Robyn

daniellenc

Maryland
Red Foots are usually very people friendly, medium sized, and don't need extreme heat. Any hatchling will become stressed with handling and ogling too much but you can always get a 2-4 year old which is easier to care for and hardy. If I could do it again I'd have gotten an adult hatchlings are fragile, require very high humidity, 30 minute soaks daily, and food twice a day. Mine is definitely like another child for right now lol but very cute and not shy. Hatchlings also sleeeep alllllll the time so not as fun to watch. Any hatchling will require similar care with different basking temps. Red Foots are the only ones I know who don't need or want to bask and prefer a home in the low to mid 80's all the time though when older they can tolerate lower temps overnight.

Definitely research all the care sheets in the species specific forums and see what fits the best for you guys. Just remember all hatchlings need a closed humid home to prevent pyramiding and stay hydrated with daily soaks so it's a bit of work for us Moms.

RobynO

Colorado
Thank you! We are open to getting a 1-2 yr old and will definitely memorize the care sheets. We have a lot to consider

daniellenc

Maryland
Thank you! We are open to getting a 1-2 yr old and will definitely memorize the care sheets. We have a lot to consider

It took me 2 months to decide on a species, and another month here studying here, lol. I changed my set-up a few times and finally brought my son's guy home almost a month ago.

RobynO

Colorado
Where did you get yours from? How old? Is this your first tortoise?

daniellenc

Maryland
I got mine from Tyler of Tortoise Supply last month. I bred snakes and various lizards for 10 years but never had the space for a tortoise until a few years ago when I sold my collection to go back to work full time. He's been more work than a whole clutch of snakes but very cute. He's about 3 months old and fits in the palm of my hand. My kids have begged for a tortoise for years and now that they're older and better able to help we finally got one. Tyler was great, prompt, his wife will even send you pictures to pick your own, he has all sorts of adults, and shipping was flawless!

RobynO

Colorado
They sound fantastic! My boys are definitely capable of taking care of a pet but I would definitely oversee and make sure things get done. I think an adult would be smartest for us being rookies and all

daniellenc

Maryland
There are a ton of breeders on here. I chose my preferred species first then looked at specific breeders. I cared about a manageable size both for having to be able to lift it but final enclosure space needed as an adult. I love leopards and radiateds but they get quite a bit bigger.

RobynO

Colorado
Yes adult size is the main factor, definitely need to be able to handle him/her gently. I think I have it narrowed down to Hermann or Russian. Now on to reading up on the care needed and enclosure. I emailed Tyler to ask if they have any Russians or Hermanns 1-5yrs old and he said he did! However we want to be prepared so I don't foresee us getting one anytime soon.

daniellenc

Maryland
Very exciting!! Take your time getting your enclosure correct it was the best thing I did. I posted pictures here and tweaked for nearly 2 weeks which was helpful as I didn't have to stress the little one changing his home with him already here.

RobynO

Colorado
That's a great idea! Posting pictures and getting advice on how to make it great Thanks!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
It is commendable that you are doing research before jumping in to tortoise care.

Torts are easy to care for but also difficult.

Difficult in that they need a specific environment with space , varying temps, humidity , UV, the right substrates , food & water.

Easy , in that once you've built & tweeked their environment they are happy little campers & just thrive.

Good fortune to you.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
WelomeMin.jpg Happy to see another Tort lover from Colorado. I'm in Colorado Springs and have 3 little torts. Maximus the20 month old Sulcata, Mudflap the 20 month old Hermanns, and Tazer the 11 month old Pardallis Pardalis Leopard Tort.
My Hermanns has to be my favorite when it comes to temperament and just being a layed back and calm tort. I may be re-homing my Sulcata but the Hermanns and the Leopard are here to stay. Good luck on finding that 'perfect' little family addition. (By the way, all mine came from the Arizona Tortoise Compound (ATC) as hatchlings.

Mudflap7_4_17a.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Robyn, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
If I may though Greeks into the mix of possibilities ?
I find them fascinating personalities and they are hardy too. :<3::tort:

RobynO

Colorado
@Alaskamike thank you for your encouragement! We love animals and understand torts are not a short term addition to the family and want to get advice and knowledge from experienced tort owners.

@Jimb thanks for sharing your little cutie! I'm in love!! I welcome any info on where to get torts, and your experiences with your tort since getting it!

@Tidgey's Dad I would love to hear more on Greeks!

Also one thing that keeps popping up in my mind is: Is it best to get a hatchling or an older one that needs a home?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
@Alaskamike thank you for your encouragement! We love animals and understand torts are not a short term addition to the family and want to get advice and knowledge from experienced tort owners.

@Jimb thanks for sharing your little cutie! I'm in love!! I welcome any info on where to get torts, and your experiences with your tort since getting it!

@Tidgey's Dad I would love to hear more on Greeks!

Also one thing that keeps popping up in my mind is: Is it best to get a hatchling or an older one that needs a home?
I would suggest perhaps a slightly older one, firstly, as you say because there may be some needing homes more than hatchlings, and secondly, because a hatchling is a little bit harder to look after for a first time tortoise keeper,(though not impossible, of course).
I live in one of the Greek's home countries and find them super little torts, a bit bigger than Russians, but still fun whilst not being quite the climbers, diggers and escape artists that Russians are. They can hibernate, so can be kept away from your freezy winters if you require and I find them very pretty little animals in their own way. Also they are not as expensive as some species.
I admit I'm biased, but I love Greeks :<3: