New Guy from Alaska

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Stuart from Kenai, Alaska. Originally a Texas boy but work brought me to the Last Frontier a couple years ago.

Turtles/tortoises have been my favorite critters since before I could walk. My room was always filled with East Texas box turtles and red eared sliders. My favorite turtle I ever came across was an alligator snapping turtle, about 100 lbs.

My wife and I are wanting to get our first family tortoise and I know that because of the climate we live in our options are limited (once we are back in Texas I would like to get a couple African Spurred tortoise and maybe even an Aldabra, if the wife says yes ) But I was hoping to get some of yall's opinions on what might be a good starter family tortoise? Size isn't necessarily an issue for at least a few years, we do want to start off with a baby. Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Stuart and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Any species is possible if you get your set up right.
Obviously babies are a bit harder to care for than mature tortoises, so many beginners start with a slightly older tortoise.
Good starter torts include the Testudo species like Russians, Greeks and Hermanns or maybe a box turtle.
Others may have their own ideas.Have a look at our species specific section and the care sheets pinned to the top for each species to get an idea of their requirements.
And read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
for some good basic information.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Stuart

You live in Alaska now right?

Sulcatas, Leopards and Aldabras grow very big and very fast.

They need an enormous amount of space and they cannot hibernate.

In the Alaskan climate that is going to be challenging to say the least. Sulcatas, for example, rapidly become 100lb bulldozers. They can do an enormous amount of damage indoors. Aldabras grow even bigger.

The Testudo that Tidgy's Dad mentioned are a much more practical option. Even they will need a minimum of 4'x8' once out of babyhood.

They are not social, so if you're planning on getting more than one tortoise you will need a separate enclosure for each.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The smaller species listed above are your best bet for a beginner tort. Then by the time you get back to Texas, you'll be ready for the larger ones you desire

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Also, I know the stores here are limited and I haven't been able to find any breeders in the state. I'm kind of nervous about having one shipped up here strictly because of the time and the current weather conditions, is this an issue that I should be concerned with or is FedEx better than I'm thinking? I just can't see how being shipped that far is good for any critter?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just a thought. I know nothing of state laws, but is transportation of any tortoise from Alaska to Texas likely to be an issue when/if you move?

It's worth looking into before you get a tortoise

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
My favorite turtle I ever came across was an alligator snapping turtle, about 100 lbs.
Fellow AST fan here. They are my dream pet.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

I agree with everyone else, small tortoises are so much easier for those of us who live in climates where they can't live outdoors all year.

My russian is really easy to care for and after a couple of months of warming up is super personable, my sulcatas cost me a small fortune to house and heat.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Just a thought. I know nothing of state laws, but is transportation of any tortoise from Alaska to Texas likely to be an issue when/if you move?

It's worth looking into before you get a tortoise

I have looked into it and I would be able to drive back with our tortoise, it will be a long car ride but nothing illegal. Thanks for making sure I look into everything!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Stuart from Kenai, Alaska. Originally a Texas boy but work brought me to the Last Frontier a couple years ago.

Turtles/tortoises have been my favorite critters since before I could walk. My room was always filled with East Texas box turtles and red eared sliders. My favorite turtle I ever came across was an alligator snapping turtle, about 100 lbs.

My wife and I are wanting to get our first family tortoise and I know that because of the climate we live in our options are limited (once we are back in Texas I would like to get a couple African Spurred tortoise and maybe even an Aldabra, if the wife says yes ) But I was hoping to get some of yall's opinions on what might be a good starter family tortoise? Size isn't necessarily an issue for at least a few years, we do want to start off with a baby. Thank you for any help!

Hi Stuart, and welcome to the Forum!

He lives in Florida now, but @Alaskamike used to live in Alaska. Also, Mary Hobsen - turtlepuddle.org - is in Alaska.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Hi Stuart, and welcome. My wife and I travel to the KP every summer. We love it up there. You can have the winters though...!
I've had a tortoise shipped from California to Florida overnight via fedex. The actual travel time was about 18 hours, but obviously not in the temperatures you're dealing with. Good luck.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hi Stuart, and welcome. My wife and I travel to the KP every summer. We love it up there. You can have the winters though...!
I've had a tortoise shipped from California to Florida overnight via fedex. The actual travel time was about 18 hours, but obviously not in the temperatures you're dealing with. Good luck.

We actually live in Kenai! You'll have to let me know next time you're up. Do y'all come up to fish?
Yeah that's actually why we came to anchorage because we knew it would be longer for our tortoise and in the cold we didn't want to risk anything but Tyler at Tortoise Supply took great care of us!

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
You're already a good tort parent, making that drive to cut down on his stress. And yes, we come up to fish, hike, take in the scenery. Russian River, Quartz creek, the Kenai River in Soldontna, Homer. We love the KP.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You're already a good tort parent, making that drive to cut down on his stress. And yes, we come up to fish, hike, take in the scenery. Russian River, Quartz creek, the Kenai River in Soldontna, Homer. We love the KP.

Thank you much!!
The KP is a great place!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Stuart S. and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

Good luck with whatever tort you get, and please keep us updated. ;)