New "built in" indoor tortoise enclosures

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
A while back we created these indoor enclosures for my tortoises. Here are a few pictures of them while we were working on them, as well as completed. There are 3 large industrial tubs that measure 4' by 5' each. They each have a double 4' T5 HO fluorescent light, as well as a dome with mercury vapors in those. All of the lights are suspended above on cables. Under the tubs we left open for my dogs bedding area.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209331.596511.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209379.582500.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209415.313870.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209460.940613.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209504.060779.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428209535.412904.jpg

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
About 16" and they are 10.0. In the first few pictures they are higher because of working around them etc... If you look at the last picture they are dropped down to about 16".

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
A while back we created these indoor enclosures for my tortoises. Here are a few pictures of them while we were working on them, as well as completed. There are 3 large industrial tubs that measure 4' by 5' each. They each have a double 4' T5 HO fluorescent light, as well as a dome with mercury vapors in those. All of the lights are suspended above on cables. Under the tubs we left open for my dogs bedding area.
View attachment 124745View attachment 124746View attachment 124747View attachment 124748View attachment 124749View attachment 124750
very nice, love it, and so neat too. Bet the dog is impressed too. lol :) Just for your own piece of mind and your torts health did you check what uv reading you are getting at tort level.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
very nice, love it, and so neat too. Bet the dog is impressed too. lol :) Just for your own piece of mind and your torts health did you check what uv reading you are getting at tort level.

No I havent. I used the chart on the zoomed
UVB bulbs as far as the distance I placed them. Are you thinking they are too far away?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your wall art is phenomenal! Someone is very talented. And those industrial tubs are great. Is this a separate building just for animals? Or a room in the house?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Geese my set up looks like a quack job! Yours is amazing. This has motivated me even more! I love enclosure ideas! Great job! I can't wait to see more pics :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
UVB bulbs as far as the distance I placed them. Are you thinking they are too far away?
Yes I was, but may be wrong. I was told about 12" distance is about right. Would seem a shame for you to have done all that hard work and expert art work and not knowingly have the UVB strength incorrect. Then again it may differ with different bulb manufacturers. I had my strip uvb at 18" at 1st, when I checked it I dropped it to 10" to get the correct reading. Looks really good, and that tort is gorgeous.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Yes I was, but may be wrong. I was told about 12" distance is about right. Would seem a shame for you to have done all that hard work and expert art work and not knowingly have the UVB strength incorrect. Then again it may differ with different bulb manufacturers. I had my strip uvb at 18" at 1st, when I checked it I dropped it to 10" to get the correct reading. Looks really good, and that tort is gorgeous.
That is why I used the 10.0 instead of 5.0 UVB, so that I could put them up higher. This is the chart I was referring too. http://zoomed.com/Library/ProductDBFiles/UVB-Reach.pdf

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Your wall art is phenomenal! Someone is very talented. And those industrial tubs are great. Is this a separate building just for animals? Or a room in the house?
The wall art is what is called "tatouage". You "rub" it on the wall. Are you kidding, I could never paint like that!!! But it does look hand painted, and they are easy to paint over if you decide you don't want it. This is our sunroom that is attached to the house converted to an animal room. I have the tortoises, a panther chameleon, and a cockatoo in this room. The dogs have a doggie door they can come and go. :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use 10.0 hi output bulbs and fixtures for my Russian tortoises winter enclosure. They are about 15 inches above the shell. My solar meter gives me a reading of anywhere from 2.5 directly under the bulb to .4 at the edge of the enclosure. I use the solar meter 6.5 UV index meter. So I think that the hi output is the way to go in this situation definitely. In my opinion if your tortoises spend a great deal of time indoors throughout the year then getting a UV meter is worthwhile. It is expensive but it does give you peace of mind. Especially with the long fluorescent type bulbs. I love your set up, it is very very nice. And functional.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Geese my set up looks like a quack job! Yours is amazing. This has motivated me even more! I love enclosure ideas! Great job! I can't wait to see more pics :)
Thank you! The tortoises don't really care what we give them as long as they have the basics. It's very hard to take a good picture of the room because of getting it all in my camera.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Such a fabulous set up!!! How many tortoises do you have?

I have two female sulcata's, outdoors of course. One Egyptian, one radiated, and 5 paa Pyxis (3 adults, and 2 babies).