New baby question

Jenminer

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Ok, so I finally decided on some Hermanns tortoises and on Tue my two little Hermanns arrived from the Arizona tortoise compound. They are moving around, digging in, sleeping and someone ate a dandilion flower( spelled wrong). I know they having to take in a lot and need an adjustment period but, I am wondering when they will show more desire for food. Their enclosure is a closed chamber 7 by 2 ft, the temp is holding at 80 f with a basking spot of 94 ish f and the humidity is around 80. They have hiding spots to choose from, coco mulch, water and various weeds to munch on. I think I covered all the basics.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Jenminer

Have you seen the warnings that torts are not social and should not be kept as pairs?

Gender and being siblings makes no difference. They are territorial and sooner or later one will start bullying the other; trying to get it to move out.

It may already be your intention to keep them separately; if not then be prepared to have to do so.

As for not eating: Soak them daily in warm water for at least 30 minutes. They can go a ling time without food, but not water.

Try offering them the food they were used to at the breeder.

Jenminer

Northern California
Yes, I am prepaired to separate them if or when problems occur and I have been offering them various weeds and greens like they get from the breeder, they are also getting warm soaks. I just wanted a rough idea of how long it can take a tortoise to acclimate to its' new home provided all their habitat needs are being met.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, I am prepaired to separate them if or when problems occur and I have been offering them various weeds and greens like they get from the breeder, they are also getting warm soaks. I just wanted a rough idea of how long it can take a tortoise to acclimate to its' new home provided all their habitat needs are being met.
It varies. Some settle in quickly. Some seem to be uncomfortable with change and take a week or two to settle. And a few are nervous wrecks and take a couple of months

I recommend establishing a routine with new torts so they learn what to expect and when.

Put the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day.
First thing, before your torts have warmed up properly, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
While they soak, tidy the enclosure and place food
Replace your torts in the enclosure and walk away.
Leave them completely alone to be brave and explore. You are new, big and scary at the moment. Watching them is intimidating.

In time your torts will realise that you are the bringer of yummy foods and come running, but give them chance to be brave and learn that first :)

Putting food out at the start of the day is important. Some new keepers want to do it in the evening when they're home from work and can watch. Unfortunately a tort's body clock doesn't work like that. They wake, they warm up, they go looking for food, they bask snooze and digest food, they may or may not go looking for more and then they turn in.

Jenminer

Northern California
I'm trying the routine you suggested and trying not to worry(easier said than done on the worrying). Sorry I didn't say thank you sooner, been a crazy week.