New baby on the way! It's a Indian Star!! Advice welcomed

Dkozi7

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have a 1 month old baby star coming in tomorrow and had a few questions. I currently own leos, sulcatas and redfoots so I am familar with diet and housing/UVB. Of course no one is housed together except the same species.

Are there anything I need to know about them that is very different? Are they more needy in certain areas?

Also, the person I am getting him/her said from a "Bell line" . What does that mean? At first I thought it was the breeder but now I am seeing stuff about albino genetics? Am I way off?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you are familiar with leopards and your leopards you have raised look nice and smooth like this... then treat it exactly like your leopards.IMG_5184.JPG

I find if you follow the guidelines set out by Tom's post on raising a healthy leopard or sulcata, you will be doing well. I find stars generally seem to like grass a bit more than leopards, but still much less than a sulcata. All three are extremely prone to pyramiding if grown in conditions that are too dry. For hatchlings, never letting even nighttime temps dip below 80° is important.

Here's Tom's thread...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks! Have you heard of the Bell line"?

My best guess is that the name is referring to the tortoise originating from Mark Bell from Naples, FL , who breeds numerous reptiles and sells them wholesale to dealers.

From whom are you getting the baby? Perhaps that person's name would also help me determine what you are getting. I have been working with tortoises since 1958 and know many of the people who breed them.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Zovick I bought him on an auction put on by Ben Siegel for $350. I'm a little worried because I like to get private breeders and older babies but couldn't pass it up. I have heard they are a little more sensitive than other torts and want to make sure I make sure this little one gets a great start.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Zovick I bought him on an auction put on by Ben Siegel for $350. I'm a little worried because I like to get private breeders and older babies but couldn't pass it up. I have heard they are a little more sensitive than other torts and want to make sure I make sure this little one gets a great start.

This provenance would suggest that Ben Siegel either bought some babies from Mark Bell or perhaps has bred ones he bought from Mark and produced his own babies, hence he would say they are from the Bell line. Do you know when the baby hatched? Asking Ben Siegel that would be a good way to determine whether he himself hatched it, or it was purchased from Mark (or maybe even another breeder working with the same bloodline).

I will help you with the care info for the baby if you wish. If your avatar indicates that you are successfully raising Leopard Tortoises, that is good because their needs are similar to those of Indian Star Tortoises.

Dkozi7

Georgia
I'm sure he probably bought the baby from someone because he runs auctions daily for different herps. I have had Leo's, redfoots and sulcatas for several years and they seem to be thriving well. We struggle a little with humidity but during the summer they get a lot of outdoor time. I would love a care sheet though. Thank you! [email protected].