New baby and a new tortoise parent

robopetz

Hi all,

Just got me a Sulcata yesterday. Breeder said it's a year and 8 months old. She looks tiny because she was the runt of the clutch. She's only 2.5 inches. Her shell design looks unique. What do y'all think?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490238168.909890.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Definitely unique! I like it. I'm surprised it's that old with no signs of new growth. Can you post a plastron picture?

robopetz

I couldn't believe she was that old too. I'll take the pic shortly and share here. Also, the breeder told me she thinks it's a girl. Isn't it hard to tell so early on?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Way to early to tell sex yet. I think the breeder might be off on age too, but they would know better than me guessing. It really looks good though. Have you weighed it in grams yet?

robopetz

First day with my, still no name, baby. Had a couple hours of fun in the sun, had a good soak, ate quite a bit, and made like 5 clumps of poop! Wow, is that a normal amount of poop for them? Lol

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
First day with my, still no name, baby. Had a couple hours of fun in the sun, had a good soak, ate quite a bit, and made like 5 clumps of poop! Wow, is that a normal amount of poop for them? Lol
Yeah that's about normal, and just wait, before long they look like large cucumbers in the yard.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hopefully you have read all the top posts in the "sulcata section", yes? You've lucked out here with this little guy. It looks as if the breeder/keeper knew what they were doing and did things right. This is a bonus for you because this will eliminate many problems that happen from improper care at the start.
You have a gorgeous little tortoise.

robopetz

Hopefully you have read all the top posts in the "sulcata section", yes? You've lucked out here with this little guy. It looks as if the breeder/keeper knew what they were doing and did things right. This is a bonus for you because this will eliminate many problems that happen from improper care at the start.

Yes I have. I have been reading and researching for a week before joining here. Makes me happy to hear that this lil one has been taken care of well. Her adult female lays once a year then she incubates the eggs herself.

robopetz

This is the lil one and some of her siblings...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490300301.008027.jpg