New arrival

Polly

Location (City and/or State)
Stafford, UK
Last night we collected our new 6 month old marginated Tortie.
True to what we were told he went straight into the hiding house in the table and won't come out.
This morning we took him out and bathed him and changed his food. He was not impressed and went straight back into hiding. I've taken him out again and handled him for some time. He has pooed and let me rub his chin and on a few occasions gave what looked like a big yawn.
He is still refusing food and when I put him back under the lamp, he ran back into the hide.
I know this is a bit of a shock to him and I can't expect him to feel instantly at home.
Can anyone tell me when I should start to worry as I really want to do what is best for him.
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him a 20-30 minute warm water soak every day. Keeping him and the water warm the whole time. Do this in the morning, then feed him afterwards and walk away. When he realizes you standing over him means he gets food and that you go away and don't eat him, he will get used to the routine, you and his new home. It could take a couple days to a week, even longer. The soaking is important to keep him hydrated during this adjustment period

Polly

Stafford, UK
Thank you. We're finding that he isn't eating but at least he isn't retracting his head as much.

Is the lack of eating a problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not for a couple weeks. If he's still not eating then, it is a problem. Just make sure the habitat is warm enough and keep offering fresh food daily. He'll come around.

Polly

Stafford, UK
I've added some small succulent plants to his table which appear to have been nibbled and the tops of the cress get eaten but nothing i have dusted with cuttlefish, in fact nothing taken from the food bowl after dusted or not. I haven't seen him drink either although we soak him in warm water daily.
All the posts on here seem to show torties are so driven by food that their people know their favourites.
I haven't kept reptiles before and want to do right by him, so really I'm looking for reassurance. Thank you all