Nesting leopard. Help!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My leopard is nesting. This is the 2nd clutch this year. The problem is it is going to get really cold, really fast tonight. She is still digging. I set up a CHE over her, and will monitor her temperature. What temp do I need to make sure she doesn't go below?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, I was up last night with mine laying. 2:00a.m. She was finally done. They don't pick the best times. It can take 2-10 hours to dig, and lay. Good luck.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Last time she was up until 2AM as well. Dumb tortoises. Last time though it was early Aug, so a CHE kept her warm enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you maybe put a couple sides up around her to help keep the heat in and any wind off her without disturbing her too much ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and if you have wild life around like skunks or coons, be prepared to scare them off. I had to scare a skunk away twice last night. I used a spray water hose. They will dig up the eggs and I'm sure fight and bite her to get them. Luckily it was last night, it was hot and humid. Tonight it's getting colder. Good luck hope all goes well

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you for the quick response. We don't have predators, maybe stray cat. A box is a good idea. She is up against a shed so that would be easy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think setting up 2 is a good idea it's only temporary until the crazy tortoise is done

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a big plastic bin you could put around her? Or a sheet of plastic? Plastic bin lids? I don't know I'm just throwing things out there.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Do you have a big plastic bin you could put around her? Or a sheet of plastic? Plastic bin lids? I don't know I'm just throwing things out there.
I was going to build a house around her lol. 2 che's did the trick. She is maintaining82.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that seemed quick. That's how many I had last night. Mine dug for 8 hours then went another hour laying.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
She started digging about 3 this afternoon. Hope she covers it quicker than she dug it. Once she started laying it was one after another.
Thanks for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcatas always started laying in Dec or Jan when night temps were in the 40 and sometimes 30s. A CHE or heat lamp is all I ever needed. That and time.