need injection help?

Luis Taveras0

hi im having touble giveing my box turtle an injextion in its front leg it wont stop moving and my vet told me to only put it in the front is there any other way can i inject a meal worm with it and make the tortoise eat it or can i put the liwuid in its mouth?

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
I
hi im having touble giveing my box turtle an injextion in its front leg it wont stop moving and my vet told me to only put it in the front is there any other way can i inject a meal worm with it and make the tortoise eat it or can i put the liwuid in its mouth?
Way of administration depends from the drug itself and the formulation. If you were given it as injection probably it will not be as if at all effective given orally. Ask someone to hold him down while you inject. Towel might come in handy, wrap him with it to hold him still. If I am alone I put mine between my knees wrapped in the towel and work with that. It's for his good, remember that :) Aaaa and if his going into hide mode and you can't reach his leg just hold him head down for a minute. Eventually he will come out. Good luck

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with Kasia. It has to be injected.

Tip your tort head down so he thinks he's being dropped and sticks his legs out. Grab the leg firmly... Better still, get someone else to grab the leg firmly. Then you can do the injection.

When I had to do this to Joe, I had my daughter on leg grabbing duty. Joe was very unimpressed and used to try to walk on 3 legs afterwards ... it was quite amusing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, Baytril can be administered orally. In fact, it's much less invasive when given orally. Baytril injections sting like crazy and sometimes even make the tortoise's leg very sore afterwards, causing him to limp. If I were giving the medication, I would try to get it in his mouth some way or another - in a piece of fruit, in a worm, whatever.

Kasia

Poland
No, Baytril can be administered orally. In fact, it's much less invasive when given orally. Baytril injections sting like crazy and sometimes even make the tortoise's leg very sore afterwards, causing him to limp. If I were giving the medication, I would try to get it in his mouth some way or another - in a piece of fruit, in a worm, whatever.
For Baytril there are different formulations one oral in couple concentrations and other one sterile for injections registered different country dependent. The one for injections will not work the same way given orally. Different dose (probably lesser) will be taken in. Time of achieving given concentration in blood differs as well. I would say that it could be faster working if given in injections and maybe that is way you were given it in that form.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been told by my vet (who used to be the vet at our zoo) that the Baytril I buy from my vet can be used orally or injectable. Also, exoticsdr, here on the Forum, a vet in Texas, has said the same thing.

Kasia

Poland
I've been told by my vet (who used to be the vet at our zoo) that the Baytril I buy from my vet can be used orally or injectable. Also, exoticsdr, here on the Forum, a vet in Texas, has said the same thing.
The drug itself has good intake from GI track so giving injectable orally could work still on lable use differs. Maybe injectable is cheaper or/and it is convenient to buy only one product.

Kasia

Poland
I found pharmacokinetic studies for the drug run on tortoise but they are both highly species and administration route dependent. Veterinarian use drugs are not that well studied as the ones given to people.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Everything still good Luis? Got any pics of how its healed up?