Need help with identification

Damona

This guy showed up after heavy storms in Baton Rouge last night. I have several known common box turtles that live here but this one is unlike the others. This one is a little feisty. I live near water (LSU lakes) and wonder if he is lost.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
This guy showed up after heavy storms in Baton Rouge last night. I have several known common box turtles that live here but this one is unlike the others. This one is a little feisty. I live near water (LSU lakes) and wonder if he is lost.
I think we need a picture :p

Damona

I am guessing this may be a river cooter or pond slider. I am almost positive he is semi aquatic. We are just a half a block from water and with the street flooding we experienced last night, I am concerned he has ventured out of his territory.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like an older, probably male, melanistic red-ear. No pattern to go by as it is almost totally black now. That is a characteristic of predominately male red-ears. Shell shape, scutes, and margin sure say Trachemys scripta. A picture of the head, neck and forelimbs as well as plastron would help be more sure, but I'd say 95% sure red-ear male

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks like an older, probably male, melanistic red-ear. No pattern to go by as it is almost totally black now. That is a characteristic of predominately male red-ears. Shell shape, scutes, and margin sure say Trachemys scripta. A picture of the head, neck and forelimbs as well as plastron would help be more sure, but I'd say 95% sure red-ear male
Ditto. Considering the location of where it was found, I would assume he is just a local boy too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like he wants to go home! Back to his pond when the flooding abates. Adorable.