Need help with adopted tortoise

Mallon

I adopted a Russian about 4 months ago. His shell seems very dry and has white spots indented on the shell. The bottom shell is now peeling off. I started treating with chlorohexine a week ago. Not sure if helping anything or not. Thought it might be shell rot but shell is not soft and does not smell. Please help. I can't figure out how to add picturesIMG_2445.JPG IMG_2448.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm thinking it's just from age and dryness. Get some humidity in its enclosure. Between 30-50% and give it a soak. Nothing sticks out to me to worry about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Barb! Im not blaming my narcissistic personality at all, but at first I had to read the entire thread to confirm that, no indeed you were not talking about me. LOL.
LOL, no, I would have to include myself in there if I were talking about someone. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

There's nothing wrong with your tortoise's shell. It's just dry. If you'd like to lubricate it, I sometimes use cold pressed coconut oil or olive oil. You wipe it on, allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then polish it off WELL with an absorbent cloth. We have a very informative thread about coconut oil here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/coconut-oil.103782/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Make sure he has access to water, a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate and big enough for him to soak in.
Also, for a while, I'd give him daily 20 minute soaks to a level just above where his carapace joins his plastron.
This is what I do myself and it has prevented me from being as wrinkly as some of the other posters. ;)