Need help

I am confused what is it ? Is it his penis or intestine ? Really scared ? Help

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That is your tort's penis. You have a male there :)

Soak him. It should retract. Come back to us - just one thread please, not 5 - if it doesn't

Need help

Another threat was removed because it said it was duplicate pls can you tell me in this thread? I have removed from is previous place and kept him new place where all ground is covered with newspaper and also I have been keeping the red stuff wet and applying honey every four to five hours as per recommend in net . But I am still confused is it intestine or penis?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is definitely penis. You have a male. It's once seen and never forgotten. He should retract it himself.

How long has it been out?

I am tagging @Yvonne G as she has had more experience of treating this than me. She should be around in an hour or two

Need help

Yaah I read it in post too , but it's almost more than one day so I am worried.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it hasn't went back in .Then you need to take him to a vet to see why it's not going back in .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep the tortoise sitting in a bit of water so the prolapsed penis doesn't dry out and get the tortoise to a vet ASAP.

Need help

You see I am from Nepal and we can't find hospital for such reptiles . Until go to wildlife sanctuary hospital which is almost 2 days travel and I have exam tommrow . I am really worried . And I also have another problem that is , my tortoise looks like elongated tortoise or yellow head and currently it is endangered species but I did't buy it from black market or something . It was my grandfather's tortoise and he passed it down too me , and now it's been almost 9years I have been takeing care of it . When my grandfather had it as a pet it was abundant species then but now due to food demand in China for tortoise it population has been listed as endangered. So now even if I take it too wildlife sanctuary I will probobly be arrested and my tortoise you will be taken from me . So , after exam I am going to take to wildlife sanctuary so I can save its life so, I think that's my only option. I guess. Thank you for your help.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
So the penis isn't able to retract at all? You can try to help it back in by gently pressing. Keep him in shallow water so it doesn't dry out if you can't help it back in. Flashing (sticking the penis out and then pulling it back in) is quite normal - my male elongated flashes when he bathes every evening. It's only a problem if they can't retract it.

If you want the species identified, post a few more photos and we can confirm what he is.

Need help

I guess it's yellow head ( elongated ) tortoise
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Need help

Yah I have't let penis dry out and constantly apply honey and keep penis wet . Would it be okay if I try to press it in like you suggested? Won't it cause any harm? And He has't ate anything form yesterday ? Can you recommend me their favorite food . He does like earthworm a lot but will be okay to feed him that? I am so worried and confused .

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes, that's an elongated tortoise. I don't know what apple honey is so I certainly couldn't say what would happen if you put that on his penis... I would make sure that is all rinsed off before trying to help the organ back inside. If you can get the penis back inside and none has dried out, he may be fine - but you need to find out why he couldn't retract his penis in the first place or it will keep happening. Straining from stones, constipation, and parasites are all options.

They like all sorts of foods - earth worms, shrimp, mushrooms, banana, passion fruit, cactus fruit are favourites of mind. They also need to eat leafy greens for fiber too. You can't just feed them their favourites. Earthworms alone will not make for a healthy tortoise.

Need help

Yaah he has huge variety of diet . His diet is really and I have been taking good care of him but it's first time something like this has happened to him. You see he is really old tortoise . Can you tell me what's life span of elongated tortoise . I am really worried about his age too cause he is old now.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
He doesn't look that old to me. Very old tortoise have quite worn looking shells. We honestly don't know much about their lifespan as they haven't been studied as much as other species. They live at least 20 years in captivity, and likely much longer, but we won't have a good idea of real lifespan for many decades. It's extremely unlikely that your tortoise is ill from old age though.

How are you housing him? The photo you showed with newspaper - that isn't where he lives, is it? Photos of an enclosure or yard may help provide insight into what is going wrong. Do you have the ability to send a fecal sample to a vet to check for parasites?

Need help

He has outdoor cage in my roof. I kept him here because an article said don't keep in place where there was mud and things can stick to penis so kept him there. Keep I place where there is no mud or covered in new paper. His penis is still out . I am keeping it wet , should I really push it in ? Vet is no option because this species is in endangered list and keeping as pet is against rule. But I still am trying to contact some wild life vet in my country .

He is well mainted so his shell does't have any damage , I mean it he really old it was given by my grandfather ( who is no more ) , I asked my mother when did he get it she said it was before she was born . My mom is in early 40's so , that's why I think my tortoise is preety old.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you can't get it to a vet, pushing the prolapse in is your only option. It's been out long enough that this is very urgent. Do it as gently as possible. The tissue will die if you can't help it back into the body, and then you really will need a vet.

Need help

Yaah I am trying to contact wildlife vet that's in my central zoo hope they accept my request