Need Help on a trip, How do I manage my toroise

Maceon279

5 Year Member
I am going on a road trip, can my tortoise survive 12 days without food, and low levels of water?
Need to know in next 36 hours, Cheers

M

Maggie Cummings

Why 14 days without food? Are you not taking him with you? He still, if you don't have anyone that will keep him for you and you can't take him with you can and should eat something daily. How big is he? I've traveled with numerous tortoises and turtles, and what I did was bring a bag of food familiar to them. If you stop in a motel night you should take him in. Put him in a dark box with plastic stuff covering the bottom. Bring a roll of paper towels. Bring a gallon of your water for him. Keep the box black inside, and he will mostly sleep. At night a good bathtub soak. I enjoy traveling with tortoises they don't shed on my seats, no barking, does not crap on the neighbors lawn and is quit in the car. Easy to take them...I took 30 once in my Camaro...Are we there yet???

Maceon279

5 Year Member
6 inches, its a road trip, and it is a she, and I was considering it, but I do not know if the motels/hotels allow pets, the first drive is 11 hours and will a shoebox suffice? Also what about light, and how would a give it water, as I mine soaks in a water dish, and I have never seen drink, like.... other creatures. During the road trip, wouldn't feces and urine get onto the tortoise in an enclosed space?

Last edited:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
leave it home and get a pet sitter... even if its every other day.. or take to a friends house... too much stress to travel and temps in car could get too hot if left in the car...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If your only choices are take the tort with you or leave it home alone. Tough call. 11 hour drive will be tough on both you and the tort.

But, being you're talking 12 days; I would probably take the tort with me.

I would place the tort in a cooler with 2 to 4 inches of coco coir in the bottom. Have food available that has good water content. Radicchio, romaine, Belgian endive all should travel well. Soak your tortoise each day. Take your tort out for exercise each day. Close the cooler while driving; can leave the top open just a crack for circulation; but avoid exposure to drafts from A/C or open windows.

Good luck.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The substrate will absorb the urine and coat the feces for easy disposal. People take coolers into hotel rooms every day. Some motels even accept pets.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
If you have a humidifier and your lights are on thermostats, then I would say leave him at home with lots of food. I've left mine for 11 days before.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tortoises aren't pets ; ) I've travelled with them when necessary (moving several states away, etc) and simply bring them into the motel in their traveling box without comment or discussion. No one ever knows. There's no damage or extra cleaning.

The tortoises or turtles spend the night in the tub, get water there, and enjoy any heat light available. I do clean the tub before we leave so there's no evidence.

I've had landlords who did not consider my fish or turtles pets after negotiation. Their primary concern was property damage & disturbing other tenants.

Furry or noisy pets are a different story.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help, and it is decided to bring the tortoise along, however the problem of light still remains.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks for all the help, and it is decided to bring the tortoise along, however the problem of light still remains.
1 hour if UV a day makes a UVB bulb not necessary, but for heat you can use a CHE maybe? I don't see how you might set up a basking bulb at the hotel, maybe in the cooler?

Maceon279

5 Year Member
True, would "normal" lights suffice? I dont think I can bring the lamp, its big. Luckily I am on the back of the van, so I can watch my tortoise. The lid to the box I am bringing has a hole on the top. Is there any other solutions?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
True, would "normal" lights suffice? I dont think I can bring the lamp, its big. Luckily I am on the back of the van, so I can watch my tortoise. The lid to the box I am bringing has a hole on the top. Is there any other solutions?
If they provide the correct amount of heat & work properly with the corresponding light fixture (like the E-17 light fixture or whatever you have) then yes it will work... Would a desk lamp work? I'm not sure...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You'd want her to rest during the travel portion of the trip. No lights needed then. Light is necessary while you're there. Will she be able to be outside? For this length of time, sunlight through the window is probably enough to keep her eating & active.

M

Maggie Cummings

I've traveled with a lot of tortoises, it's easy. Get a regular incandescent bulb and fixture for warmth at night.Keep paper towels handy and have a good time...

M

Maggie Cummings

I use a black light bulb for heat at night. Missing out on UVB while driving is no big deal. Just put him out when you get where you're going...

M

Maggie Cummings

Put her in a small shoe box, dark and she will mostly sleep. Give her a drink in the motel....

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I have considered taking my two with me when I go to Universal for a week, but firstly the stress on my yearling would be immense, and Vodka isn't your usual quiet tortoise. She'd scratch at the box constantly. Restless soul. Secondly my parents definatley would not approve and third, That kind of stress on them isn't worth it to me. I can easily get a neighbor or friend to feed them for me. Luckily none of my friends are squeamish feeding slugs and pheonix worms to my boxie.

I appreciate this thread, it has helped me learn safe and calm ways to transport my animals when I need to move out or take them to a vet. As much as I would love to have them with me on vacation, Unless it is a last minute dire needs thing I would rather leave them in the security of their home.

The light issue, sunlight for uvb and as said black lights for heat at night. If the wattage is compatible a small desk / reading lamp could work to hold the bulb.