Need help identifying my tortoise specie

Su G.

Addtl info: shell is over foot long and weighs approximately 20-30 pounds.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think it's a Gopherus species. It's a beautiful tortoise. But I must warn you, I am always wrong LOL Super Moderator will come on and tell the correct species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Su, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a big old desert tortoise. He's a beauty! If you post a picture of his underside we'll let you know if he's a he or a she.

A couple years ago I adopted out a big desert tortoise with pink paint on its back just like yours. Do you know where they got the tortoise?

Su G.

Here's the bottom side (this pic was taken post bath.) Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome.

Sorry don't know where he/she came from. Disclaimer, weird story to follow. I lost my father in 2005 to a car accident. A month later while at work some coworkers told me told me they saw a turtle walking underneath my car. So I later looked myself and nothing was there. Later on that day after I got home my mother opened the front door and found this turtoise on our doorstep. So yep, this turtoise will forever remind me of the character Robert Deniro played in Cape Fear hanging underneath my car while I'm driving home from work which was about 3 miles from home. TMI I know but true story nevertheless. After I told my mom about what happened I didn't have the heart to go around asking neighbors if they lost a turtoise.
IMG_1255.JPG

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't mean to brag, but woo hoo!!!!! I finally got one right. He looks pretty old to me. Did you trim his toe nails?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a female desert tortoise. At one time in her life a dog chewed off the front part of her shell underneath. It would be extraordinary for her to weigh 30lbs.

Su G.

21FEAF3F-C6F5-4652-8728-2835E2149A9A.jpeg F911B67A-E4F2-484B-B03B-83BDD377A70C.jpeg AC4F9A86-A25F-4206-B4F3-C041EDF46CD4.jpeg 5C86234C-002E-4A71-B88D-A0865EB8BD34.jpeg 8DEF53CF-84DD-4282-8BAF-928A77D576DE.jpeg 04812D6A-D3B8-4971-9B3B-BDDF463257F6.jpeg Hello again! So Mrs Green has stopped eating about a week ago after the temperature started dropping. It’s been a nervous week for me watching her roam the backyard constantly. It feels as though she’s pacing. She’ll repeatedly want to come inside of the house and then back out. She’s been living in the toolshed shack outside all year by choice. Her prehibernation behavior has been very interesting to observe but I wonder what is going through her mind and it scares me especially when she seems to not know whether if she wants to be inside or out. Maybe she just wants to socialize as much as possible before she goes into hibernation.