Need help for winter months!!!

Carley

So I have a Russian tortoise (reznov or the nov) I have him in a 3 foot by 8 foot watering troff and I have him in a Florida room or sun room and I was wondering what can I do in the winter time. I live in ohio so it gets cold here when it trys to snow. My question is what can I do for him so he won't die because its the same temp as out side but without wind. Do i half to bring him inside or what can I do so my baby will be happy and nothing bad will happen???

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I hibernate mine, I have for years. I think it's probably safer to bring it indoors, especially if you don't know how to safely hibernate it.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I wouldn't hibernate him outside. How long have you had him? If it's a small tortoise or if you haven't had him for over a year I would set him up an inside enclosure. If your tortoise is healthy, he'll go through a slowdown period and he'll remove all waste from his body. Depending on the temps in your garage you can box him up insulated by newspaper and set him on a shelf. Check on him once a week to check for urine. When it comes out of hibernation, give it sessions of soaking and offering lots food. It'll have lost weight during this process.

Be very vigilant if you decide to hibernate! Rodents will chew on a sleeping tortoise's limbs! If the temperatures change (gets too cold or too hot) it's dangerous for the tortoise.