Need heating help

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Situation.... built a beautiful outdoor enclosure for my sulcata to get him permanently outdoors. Haven't been able to keep him in it through the night because temps are still not quite warm enough yet until sun up. I want to be able to leave him in there all the time and not have to bring him in at night but my only problem is there's no electrical outlets on that side of the house so I don't have a way to heat the hide. Does anyone know of any alternate ways of heating the hide or anything battery powered that can be put out there? I've tried doing an internet search but don't really know what I'm looking for. Help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, what size is your tortoise now?

Second, you need to run power over there. Use a heavy gauge extension cord if need be. Best to have an electrician come and install an outdoor outlet for you. Shouldn't cost that much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's next to the house, an electrician can drill through the wall and scab onto an existing electrical line. That's what I had done for my greenhouse. He drilled through the stucco outside wall and into the bedroom and attached the wire to an existing bedroom outlet, then ran it underground to the greenhouse. It cost me $150. That was last year.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
They ran ours down from the attic and put 4 gfci outlets for $125. It's worth it! Short solution is to take heavy duty extension cord (outdoor) and bury it or run through pvc for protection

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you at all handy with electrical?
I also ran wire from the nearest outlet inside through the wall and out through a hole in the cement where I mounted a ground fault box in a waterproof housing.
That was years ago.
Any DIY friend of yours should be able to knock this out.